Emmisions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Emmisions

Post by vanny »

Does anyone know where i can get emmisions specs from? There are some on the DVLA website but seem to only cover new cars.
Im looking specifically for bx19rd Freg and xantia 1.9TD '96 model
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Why?
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Vanny
Everything you could want to know about the MOT is here - what you are looking for is under 'Tester's manual'
http://www.motuk.co.uk/welcome.htm
Jeremy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Dave, i cant believe you need to ask that question!!
Im sticking a 1.9TD engine from a Xantia into a BX and was wondering which has lower CO2 output for the impending MOT. I know they will just blindly test it as a 1.9NA Diesel but figure i better check what emmisions ill get.
Anybody know how they test an engine with twin exhausts??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Vanny -
To my best - I do'nt think it really matters having single or twin exhausts. The emissions mix coming from either port would be the same - but simply at somewhat lower flow rate.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Vanny - Do I understand you correctly - you think the tester won't realise whether he's testing a turbo unit or a normal one? They have differing allowances of smoke.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sorry Vanny, not got good telepathy skills, didn't know what you were up to[:D]
Co2 doesn't enter into it, its all down to smoke opacity with diesel's, and the turbo injects more fuel as boost comes on, so obvious really that they are allowed a greater tollerance.
Dave
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I'll put money on the tester not realising it has a turbo in it!! the last few times its gone for MOT i have to teach the mechanics about the car. 'oh the hand brake has too much reverse travel''its self adjusting''jim, is it self adjusting?''no fred it isnt, not on this model''okay then well get in, put your foot on the brake and pump the hand brake' <few seconds later> 'oh, yes, i see what you mean now'
But then it does seem to pass unlike when it used to go to citroen 'thats gonna cost at least £700 to fix' 'but its a brake disc!!'
But useful to know that the change of engine DOES need to be pointed out before they fail it!!
see what you mean about the opacity now, should be less than 2.5 for normal diesel. Last time it failed it started at 4.45 and yep a quick rag up the motorway solved that :)
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

the last few times its gone for MOT i have to teach the mechanics about the car. 'oh the hand brake has too much reverse travel''its self adjusting''jim, is it self adjusting?''no fred it isnt, not on this model''okay then well get in, put your foot on the brake and pump the hand brake' <few seconds later> 'oh, yes, i see what you mean now'
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I know what you mean, I had a BX fail on the handbrake because they were testing it on the <b>rear</b> wheels.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Vanny,
As has been said 2.5 for N/A 3.0 for TD. A 'modern' Xantia engine should pass no problem (unless you've screwed the boost up!) - was watching mine being tested last night 0.06 on the first run, dropped to 0.028 by the third - well in (and it's done 85k) - watching this test is not for the feint hearted if you have a bit of mechanical sympathy though! I believe for twin exhausts they test both and average the results to get the 'answer'.
Richard