Got an M.O.T. advisory - Front suspension?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Got an M.O.T. advisory - Front suspension?

Post by HDI Dave »

Hi all,

Got an M.O.T. advisory - Front suspension.

Good news, she passed well :P

Not too bad news, like a muppet, I forgot about the expired number plate bulbs :roll: ...and she just needed a new number plate + wipers.Looked fine to me, think my mot man has a fetish for wipers etc! either that or he needed more beer money for the match :lol: Pretty chuffed tho, 90 quid all in.

Anyway,sorry to digress:

Front suspension's been feeling loose,NSF, over speed bumps. I thought it might be a P bush etc,but I usually change the whole wishbones,so I'm not messing with one bush failing here and there every few months.
Advisory is BOTH front bottom ball joints, I think, play in em..(he never gives me the advisory sheet..he'd rather do the work himself..fair play,he is in business after all).
So I'm not sure what is loose,what he's on about.

What's a common 'loose' feel at the front..over speed humps? What about drop links etc? Any info appreciated.
Might as well sort it while the weather's here.

Cheers, Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dave,

Great news on the pass :D

Drop links just rattle over bumps.

If it's the bottom balljoints they I'm sorry to say you're in for some fun :twisted: They really can be a pain.

They're simple enough on the face of it, being screwed into the bottom of the hub but that's were it ends. They're screwed up to 250 Nm, loctited and peened over.

I've always struggled with them. Some have managed to bend back the peened tab and bash them out with a cold chisel but it's never worked for me.

To replace them you need a special tool thats a socket with four prongs on it and usually sold for a Pug 405. The balljoints are the same on a 405, 406, BX, Xantia and maybe the C5.

I find it best in the long run to remove the hub complete, pop it into a big vice and use a breaker bar on the special tool after applying judicious heat to soften the loctite.

I hope it's just droplinks. The bottom balljoints are easy to check; just jack up and relieve weight on the suspension and you'll soon feel any play in them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I reckon it might be easier to get just a complete hub from a breakers, press in a new bearing and replace the hub, at least if you did it by getting other hubs you could do the work without the car being off the road :) and doing the bearings at £10 a pop is good as it avoids the job in the future :)
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Cheers Jim:

"Drop links just rattle over bumps"

That is what it sounds/feels like. I'll investigate and post back. :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Fingers crossed Dave :D
KP wrote:doing the bearings at £10 a pop
Where do you get bearings for £10 each Will? I need some for my Activa project and can't see them on the GSF website..

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Jim,

Part number is 413PC0040

Ask for the Vince, branch manager at liverpool discount and see what you get it knocked down to :) IIRC mine was the website price when vat had been added :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Will :D

No wonder I couldn't find it. It comes up as a ZX part!!!
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i do still have that complete new OE old stock N/S front hub for sale,

it is for an ABS car and comes with the bearing, swivle joint and drive flandge,

only want £40 quid pluss caridge, unless you can use the FCF International courier's,

regards malcolm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Got an M.O.T. advisory - Front suspension?

Post by xantia_v6 »

HDI Dave wrote:(he never gives me the advisory sheet..he'd rather do the work himself..fair play,he is in business after all).
I think the tester is obliged to give you the advisory sheet (a secret advisory is a bit of a contradiction in terms) Anyway it will be on the computer system, and I think you can see them on-line.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Where would I find it online?

Cheers, Dave.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not sure that you would get it online.

The place I use farmed out the last MOT as the tester was off sick.
It failed and I had a couple of advisories (ball joint was one, forget what the other was)
Had it retested after fixing the headlight causing the failure and received a pass but no advisories.

Took it back to the original place and asked them to check and fix the balljoint and whatever else was on the advisory sheet but they said they could only access the details if they had done the test.
They couldn't find anything wrong even after virtually re-testing it.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Found it,it's on the MOT form:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... G_10020539

Front BOTH SIDES Ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)

Advisory Notice issued

Front Lower P BUSHES Bonded suspension unit deteriorated but can function as intended (2.4.F.3)

Hmm,looks like a fair bit of work..oh well!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The "P" bushes are easy enough Dave. A good cold chisel and big hammer soon despatches them.

Just be careful to install the new ones exactly as the old ones to ensure they sit at the correct attitude. If they sit wrongly they'll have a short life.

Before attempting the lower balljoints get the tool.

This is a typical example of one.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That's excellent - Found that
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)
Pleased you were able to retrieve the required info Dave. Looks like your MOT guy was touting for work. Should be reported to VOSA.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

myglaren wrote: Should be reported to VOSA.
X2