steering wheel removal berlingo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aidan b
My Cars:

steering wheel removal berlingo

Post by aidan b »

hello i'm new to this forum.

i am trying to remove my steering wheel from my 2004 berlingo but cant seem to be able to, i wonder if there is anybody who can help

regards Aidan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome Aidan

how fare did you get if anywere

firstly you must disconect the battery and leave it for 20 minn's before attempting to touch the air bag, otherwise it can deploy in your face, and can cause whiplash
(no not miss whiplash) you should be so lucky,

if its like a Xantia there are two tourqe screws holding the air bag in place, they go into the back of the steering wheel, once the A/B is removed there is and nut in the centre, remove the nut and grab the wheel with both hands at opposite sides, and give it a good hard jiggle from side to side, this should free it from the tapperd splines

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Top tip for steering wheel removal is to leave the nut on the end of the threads whilst you are 'gently' :lol: rocking the wheel to free it from the splines. That way, when it does come free suddenly, it doesn't a) smash you in the nose and b) wreck the wiring to the air bag / radio controls 8-)
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

This is one of those jobs that is really easy once you have done it once & know how it comes off but a real nightmare if you have never done it. There are no screws on the mk2 berlingo airbags. Someone on the Xsara owners club has posted THIS thread about it including a youtube video & the airbags on late xsaras are the same as mk2 berlingos. It's much easier to see how it comes off when you see the workings of how it attatches. The airbag on the late xsaras is the same so there are some good pictures.
Only thing to add is its only neccisary to wait two minutes (or ten if there is a fault with the airbag system/the warning light is not operating correctly) after disconnecting the battery.
aidan b
My Cars:

Post by aidan b »

thanks lads for the great advise, i did disconnect the battery but didnt wait for a few minutes, i just went gung ho on trying to fix the wheel. you see it seems to be rocking on the column, loose nut me thinks by the sound of things.
i had a suspicion that those slots on the back of the wheel were to release the front part, but didnt want to stick a screwdriver in where its not wanted in-case i ripped a few wires out or even worse do something to the air-bag.

thanks for the toptip i've seen people nearly knocking themselves out trying to take them off.

video of wheel removal for those in the future
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i found the video a bit dark, although i did get the jist of it

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

aidan b: How do you mean the steering wheel is rocking on the column?
RichardW wrote:Top tip for steering wheel removal is to leave the nut on the end of the threads whilst you are 'gently' :lol: rocking the wheel to free it from the splines. That way, when it does come free suddenly, it doesn't a) smash you in the nose and b) wreck the wiring to the air bag / radio controls 8-)
That is a very good tip indeed. :lol:

I ripped a connector off the indicator unit when removing my C5s wheel, luckily that was the unit i was replacing anyway, the comms2000, i wouldn't have been too happy otheriwse :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
aidan b
My Cars:

Post by aidan b »

there is a little play in it when turning side to side and up and down, i just took it as the nut was loose. i held the steering colum while trying to turn the wheel and it seem to be somewhere in the wheel and not in the nuckle joint.

i havent gone near it yet i'm working on another car and i have heaps to do on that, prop shaft, steering rack, rear springs list is endless

when i get around to fixing it i'll let you know how i get on