Starter Motors for the TCT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Starter Motors for the TCT

Post by KP »

Does anyone know if the 2.1td starter varies in anyway at all from the TCT starter fitted to the ML5T box's?

In older cars Diesel starters(like for the R19 and R5's) were often fitted to petrols to help crank them over a bit quicker in the morning. I think this was due to teh higher compression ratio on diesels requiring more grunt to get them moving, and have been wondering if i could do the same with the TCT, as when the head comes off it wouldn't bee too much more work i reckon to swap the starter out for a better/newer unit.

Any opinions at all?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I've found out that the standard motor is 1.1kw and that there is a cold climate version on ebay which is 1.4kw which is the same power as the 2.1td motor...

Thats 27% more cranking power.... wonder if the wiring is upto the job of the higher spec unit or if an even higher one like 1.5 or 1.6kw could go in...

Are they even available or possible to rebuild in that way as i think its down to the windings in the motor if thats right and if there isn't enough space there won't be anymore?? could be way off as my electrical skills aren't that great anymore....
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahh some HDi starters are 1.7kw... but the teeth are what is going to set this thing going and as the 110hdi shares teh same box i need to know if it has the same flywheel which im guessing it won't :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Laser of Service.Citroen should reveal the answer to this Will...

I would expect as a quick guess that the 2.1TD and 110HDi shares a flywheel.

Don't take it as gospel though.... I can check Laser later.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It appears that....:

2.0T 136 teeth p/no 053423
HDi 133 teetch p/no 053436 (noth 90 and 110 variants, despite the different box)
2.1TD Teeth not specified p/no 0532G2
1.9TD 136 teeth p/no 0532G5

So the HDi / 2.1TD ones are different no of teeth (I am assuming DTS means teeth....!) the 1.9TD is the same number of teeth, but don't know if it will be the same diameter. Might be possible to get an HDi starter and change over the pinion if you can get one the same make?
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Just got that far into the service site myself richard :)

yeah from the exploded diagrams i think it might be possible to take the units apart so may see if a reconditioner could actually drop in the more powerful unit instead of giving me a refurb unit or the like.