Xantia Aux belt pulley tensioner 1.9td R reg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Xantia Aux belt pulley tensioner 1.9td R reg

Post by Taffyrhys »

Just noticed that the top aux belt pulley tensioner, (the top one which looks like its connected to a spring), has the 19mm bolt loose and cannot srew back in but wont pop out as the belts in the way? However i was wondering if the nut at the back has fallen off? or is it undertension so it slightly out of alignment.

Any ideas?????????????????
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, the bolt has sheared due to failed needle roller bearings in the tensioner.

You need to replace it ASAP before the auxillary belt flies off and gets intimate with the cambelt. Such an occurrence is not good for the health of the engine.

This article will help you replace it.

GSF sell the tensioers but I'm not sure now if they come with a new bolt. I think they do but it's worth checking. Otherwise one will need ordering from a Stealer.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

The GSF ones do come with a new bolt. I couldn't see how to get to the bottom bolt attaching it to the spring with a ball end allen key, so did the remove HP pump + alternator route to allow you to remove the bracket to which the tensioner and spring is attached. It is a bit long winded, but straightforward. The GSF tensioner looks as though if you do the bolt up tight it will stop the tensioner from moving, but it does.

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

main dealers charge between 50 and £70 +vat depending on which pulley you want if its the one with the big spring behind it at the top thats the expensive one.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

Have you any tips to remove the hd pumps? do i remove the small nuts on the hydraulic pipes or the large 12mm, do i have to buy new seals. Any help appriciated.

Cheers

Taffy
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Taffy,

Theres No seals on the TWO nuts On the pipes them selfs, these pipes use the more "standard" brake pipe type union flare..USE A GOOD QUALITY SPANNER OR FLARE SPANNER THESE NUTS CAN BE VERY TIGHT! And I Mean tight!!!!

Anyway, Yes, remove those two Steal pipes, Plus the rubber feed pipe, lift the pipe up so it does Not syphon the LHM tank..

Then theres just two bolts holding the LHM pump on, if you look through the Pump pully, you will see a 6mm allen head bolt! A 6mm allen Key, even the tye on the halfords 1/4" drive set will fit through a hole in the pully, this one goes right through to the other side, were you see the Pipe clamps on the other end. Remove the 10mm nuts holding the pipe clamps on, then remove the lower Long in length spacer nut, thats the other end of the allen bolt, then above that holding the pump steady is a smaller spacer and (I think) double threaded each end nut..

The pump should then wriggle out of its mount, after sliding the 6mm head long bolt out through the Pump pully.

Hope that helps. VERY sorry, no pics to refer to

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

For anyone needing these bits ive found some on flea bay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT they do pulley plus with belt and spring/pulley/belt for £65.00 plus £10 pp
xantia 19td estate 96-7