Strong sphere removal tool near Stoke?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
Dommo
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 1210
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 09:43
x 20

Strong sphere removal tool near Stoke?

Unread post by Dommo »

Hi folks.

I'm in need of a strong sphere removal tool, we keep breaking our (badly) home made tool, but we managed to remove the rear corner spheres with it so I'm wondering if it's just a particularly stiff sphere?

I was wondering if anyone near stoke fancied tackling an accumulator sphere on an Activa?

Thanks.
User avatar
Old-Guy
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 1815
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 12:08
x 24

Unread post by Old-Guy »

It really helps to let PlusGas (or similar) soak into the joint for a couple of days. Mine was very tight but a decent (oil filter) chain wrench (IIRC about £7) from Machine Mart and a 24" breaker bar shifted it (and the rear corner spheres and the Anti-sink sphere). Strap wrenches are useless for the purpose as they have too much 'give' in them. If it won't shift with maximum possible force on the chain wrench, get a second person to give it a mighty 'jar' in the right direction with a big hammer on the end of a length of wood.

While waiting, it's a good idea to cut a piece of hardboard or thin ply to protect the radiator (and your knuckles!) - potentially stops the job getting a whole lot more expensive.
2012 Subaru Forester - capable but no magic carpet
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi - not missed!
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - sadly missed
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
davewithington
Posts: 224
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 15:02

Unread post by davewithington »

I've got a Pleiades removal tool - and I'm in Fenton

Send me a message
User avatar
Dommo
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 1210
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 09:43
x 20

Unread post by Dommo »

Thanks Dave - I'm just about to PM you.

Old Guy - I wasn't aware that using plus gas in the joint was the norm, and luckily I did try some around the joint on the accumulator, however I think we'd already broken our tool for the 100th time by the time we thought to use plus gas!

Good idea with the plywood, we did use some down there yesterday but it was more to protect the rad than our knuckles ;)

Thanks.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8391

Unread post by CitroJim »

Dom,

Dave's Pleiades too should do the trick and guy's tip on the plywood is excellent, especially when doing the centre hydractive sphere.

I've had some spheres that have defeated even the Pleiades tool.

In this case a cold chisel, punch and 4 lb club hammer is needed, along with Guy's plywood...

Use the chisel to raise a ridge on the sphere, apply the punch and aim some real hard dead blows at it from the hammer. This works a treat!

It is especially good for spheres on flimsy brackets like the hydractives that will bend as you apply force using a conventional tool or strap.

Even with a Pleiades tool, it helps to wallop the end of it with a hammer whilst applying undoing force as it helps jar it free.

I've broken a Pleiades tool :twisted:

On a rear hydractive sphere that needed three ridges raised on it and an hour's bashing :lol:
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...