Turbo problem Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

racingraymond

Turbo problem Hdi

Post by racingraymond »

I have a 2001 Synergie 2.0 Hdi and today whilst accelerating up hill in 2nd a sharp noise came from the engine as though something snapped,the turbo sounded a lot noiser than usual and power is down,it drives ok but appears to be smoking a bit more and there is a lot less boost than before,I only drove the 2 miles home quietly so as not to rev it too high.Any ideas ? The cars been a nightmare,I only had the clutch and flywheel replaced the day before :(
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The snapping sound is probably an air hoze coming undone, like a jubilee clip has come off and a hoze has parted. This would give you a lot of hissing noise and exhaust smoke because your air flow meter thinks more air is going into the engine but it's leaking out. Check all your air ducting.

If you've just had work done by a garage then it's probably due to an air duct they've taken off for access and they've not done it up tight enough when refitted. You should consider taking it back and let them sort it out.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Yes, as Kev says ^

Sounds just like my mate's golf tdi. Keeps popping the turbo,intercooler? pipe off. Smoke and lack of power. He ended up self tapping a bolt into it, to stop it coming off. His was underneath the engine,near the front.

Sounds like the garage hasn't fastened it properly. I'd take it back,as Kev says, or even have a quick looksee yourself.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Likely to be the Turbo to intercooler pipe, that runs UNDER the engine, between the engine and gearbox, this on 110bhp models needs to come off before the box comes off...

Its a hose clip at the turbo outlet, from underneath, and again at the front were it connects to the intercooler intake rubber hose... at the front theres a 13mm nuts that secures the hose to the gearbox and the other hose clip holding the rubber hose on.. my guess is either end of the robber hose has popped off at the intercooler, (infront of the Radiator) or the connecting plastic hose from the turbo at the front...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
racingraymond

Post by racingraymond »

Thanks for the replies,will check out connections ASAP :D
racingraymond

Post by racingraymond »

Thanks guys,it was indeed one of the air hoses under the engine,just not put back on tight enough,very relieved I can tell you :)