206 1.9D horn problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

206 1.9D horn problem

Post by Edhertz »

Hi,
Could you good guys out there help me with the following problem? Put briefly, the horn on my 206 1.9D comes on when it feels like it. This is ,as you can imagine, somewhat embarrasing especially when you have to wait, till after hitting and turning the steering wheel a few times, it stops. The last time it happened I had the wheel off and couldn't see anything obvious ie chaffing wires. It even went off once when I closed the boot! Being an intermittent fault and going months between events, makes it even more problematic.
Thanks in advance.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It might be the switch itself inside the wheel. From memory the switch is part of the wheel not on the stalk, although its been about 3 years since I sat in one.

Is it pre 2000 ? (X plate or older?) or newer. Newer are multiplexed which is best to get put on a diag (Lexia or Planet) to check there's nothing really odd going on first.

I cannot recall the underside of the wheel, although if the switch requires taking the airbag out of the steering wheel (I don't mean the 'usual' part you undo the two torx to get off) then you will have to seek a replacement I would guess.

Sorry that's not a lot of help, but you have already eliminated the usual causes.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG