how much lds fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlberry64
My Cars:

how much lds fluid

Post by carlberry64 »

how much lds fluid does a c5 take

cheers carl :P
carl
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

5 litres from scratch, but that doesn’t happen.
It’s no use replacing it for the sake of it.
For what it costs, it should be good forever.
There’s no recommended change interval, except for saying that the suspension doesn’t need attending to for 6 years or 125,000 miles.

Leaks over the years will be enough to renew some fluid by top-ups.
These cars aren’t going to last long enough to warrant a complete change of fluid.

At normal suspension setting, the fluid is near the bottom of the top half of the tank.
I’ve had it 1 cm below the seam of the tank at normal setting, and it was still good.

Picture of level at low setting:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

There’s no recommended change interval, except for saying that the suspension doesn’t need attending to for 6 years or 125,000 miles.
I've seen this interval quoted a number of times before.
Any idea what's supposed to be done when the time comes?
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

dnsey wrote:
I've seen this interval quoted a number of times before.
Any idea what's supposed to be done when the time comes?
Citroen have got the value engineering bit down to such a fine art that at 125K the whole lot fails within a few k miles new BHI new struts and spheres and then you should be good for another 125K that's why it needs attending to. :-)

Cynicism aside I believe in "on condition" maintenance i.e if a strut has started to leak you overhaul it, if it takes the BHI five minutes to get to height with no major leaks you get it overhauled (or a new one), or put more simply "if it ain't broke don't mess with it"
The oil? well it is a synthetic, appears to be mildly hygroscopic but it doesn't get the thrashing that LHM gets in the old systems so if it has been kept closed I reckon it would go on for ever BUT I think that if I had any reasons to disturb the BHI at anything over 100K I might change it.

Incidentally something which has been debated on here a few times is pressure in the reservoir, it takes a bit of force to remove the cap and it usually goes with a hiss.
Many have assumed that this means the tank is slightly pressurised, not so it actually runs with a slight vacuum this way the leak back return lines actually work as return lines in that the oil gets sucked back into the tank. There is a valve in the filler cap which will let air out but not in.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

cachaciero wrote: Incidentally something which has been debated on here a few times is pressure in the reservoir, it takes a bit of force to remove the cap and it usually goes with a hiss.
Many have assumed that this means the tank is slightly pressurised, not so it actually runs with a slight vacuum this way the leak back return lines actually work as return lines in that the oil gets sucked back into the tank. There is a valve in the filler cap which will let air out but not in.

cachaciero
That's an interesting observation. And a reassuring one as I keep meaning to attend to mine since I topped it up a month ago. Another job I can fail to do :)
carlberry64
My Cars:

Post by carlberry64 »

thank you for the replies, its one of them fluids that is hidden away under the cover and you dont tend to check it like you would if its on veiw..
carl