Xantia 2.0l 16v 1998 MK1 handbrake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Xantia 2.0l 16v 1998 MK1 handbrake problem

Post by admiral51 »

Hi All
Not having driven the old gal for a good few months until last weekend i noticed that the handbrake light would flicker on the dash every now and then.When the light came on,if the handbrake was pushed down(when in its "off" position) the light would extinguish.Having compared it with my 2.1TD it is very slack no real resistance to pull the handbrake on.The handbrake holds fine but if you partially pull the handle on and then release there is no force to pull it down its sort of loose,whereas in the 2.1 it seems to spring down.
Sorry for the rubbish explanation but its hard to describe.
Major problem to fix or just the usual Xantia partial dismantling of the interior :lol:

Cheers

Colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

either the cables need adjustting to take up the slack (ALICE), or the levers on the callipers are sticking on slightly,

to check i the levers are sticking you need to unhook the cables from the callipers, and make sure the levers return fully every time you pull them on with a pair of grips then let them go,

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

or the spring holding the lever down is loose at one end or slack after long periods of being held on.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks guys :)
I have had problems with the front brakes binding on in the past so it could well be that i need to redo the caliper cleaning/freeing as im sure it will be a MOT failure :oops:

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Colin, I'm a bit late into it here but unless you have replaced the cables in your ownership, I'd say the cables are binding. Their outer often split where they go through the last guide ring and all the steering movement just hastens it. Water gets in, the inner splits and bingo! Tight cables.

Been there and had the same on my 2.1TD.

And it's always the NS one that's special to the cars with the ML5 gearbox and the one GSF don't stock :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...