206 1.9 Diesel(hdi?) Y reg rear axle problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

206 1.9 Diesel(hdi?) Y reg rear axle problem

Post by admiral51 »

Hi All
A mate at work has the above car and from what i can gather the rear bush has gone and he now has 1 wheel leaning a bit :)

Any ideas on where to get a replacement axle as i seem to remember reading that its easier to replace the whole axle rather than the bush.
I have given him a few numbers to phone inc PCR of Lancing but he has drawn a blank.
Is this axle unique to the 206 or is it used in other Peugeots or a long shot any other PSA vehicle.

Not sure if his car has ABS or rear discs as im not familiar with Peugeots but guessing it probably has ABS.

Cheers in advance

Colin

Edit Sorry forgot to say that vehicle is in bournemouth area if that helps :oops:
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Sounds like a bearing has gone? You could either source one from a scrapper, or even possibly ebay. I think many PSA vehicles use a similar arrangement, but they aren't interchangeable. I've also seen a couple of companies offer PSA axle refurb services, but cost £300+.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

evilally wrote:Sounds like a bearing has gone?.
Ahh thats what i meant to say but got my terminology all confused :oops: :oops:

Its not a job he would do himself so would need someone with some knowledge on the subject to aquire the axle for him before he passed the lot onto a garage.
The garage in question is highly recommended but its sourcing the axle in the first place.

I will have a dig around on ebay thanks

Colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im supprised PCR dont have an axle that will do the job,

although even if they dont have one they should be able to tell you which other PSA modles use the sam axle, i suspect the some of Saxo ones should do the job as lone as it has the same type of brakes,

regards malcolm
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

citronut wrote:im supprised PCR dont have an axle that will do the job,

although even if they dont have one they should be able to tell you which other PSA modles use the sam axle, i suspect the some of Saxo ones should do the job as lone as it has the same type of brakes,

regards malcolm
I didnt make the phone call i left it up to him,althouth im not sure why as the words motorbike and ashtray spring to mind to describe him sometimes :lol:
Thanks Malcolm for the info,ill get some more info about the car and try to elaborate in this post

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The 206 does indeed use the same rear beam/torsion bar setup as many other PSA vehicles and the problem will invariably be a collapsed trailing arm bearing.

These are replaceable with great difficulty but usually the bearing as gone so badly that both the arm shaft and the tube will be irreparably damaged and will need replacement. Rust makes them a real battle to dismantle.

When you look at what needs to be done, the refurbished beams look good value.

As you say Colin, a scrappy makes good sense but be sure to check the beam carefully before handing over money. Try to see the donor car on it's wheels and give the rear a good bounce. Also be sure to get one from the same model as spring rates and ARBs differ and often it is not possible to put drums on a disc braked stub axle and vice versa.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

As you know Jim im not the most mechanically gifted :lol: :lol:

I understand your point about disc/drum compatability but as you and Malcolm say there maybe other tpyes of PSA vehicle with comparable axles how would i go about comparing ARB and spring(whatever they are :wink: ) on these.Is it the ARB mounting points or as usual have i missed the target by miles :oops:

Would a 205/ 207/306 axle fit if it had the same brake setup.
Sorry for asking lots of dumb questions but i want to give the bloke as much info as i can and also give the garage who will do the work (you know the one Jim :wink: ) as much help as possible

Colin

PS still waiting for the VIN number to sent to me :twisted: :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries at all Colin :D

The various models will have varying spring and anti roll bar stifnesses and if say a beam from a 1.1 petrol was used on a 2.0 diesel, the ride and/or handling might suffer. The amount of springyness/stiffness in a spring is known as it's rate.

Therefore it's best to get a replacement from as near the same model as possible. It is technically possible to transfer torsion bars between axles but due to rust/corrosion/years, it is jolly hard work.

I've no idea what the interchangeability between other PSA models might be unfortunately Colin; the 206 having no direct Citroen equivalent may well be out on it's own.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Jim
That makes things that much clearer,far too used to Green Blood and Balls :D

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Ok here we go with a request for another favour :oops:

This is the VIN for the car in question
VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Could some kind soul with access to Peugeot service site please obtain the details about the car and paste/post them so i can narrow the search to compatable axles

Cheers in advance

Colin
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You will need to seek out one from another 206 I would guess (if its any consolation I need one for my 205 and that being a rare-ish model does not help either)

Both disc / drums have or have not ABS. You need ideally to match what you have either:

rear discs with abs
rear discs without abs
rear drums with abs
rear drums without abs

Probably a choice of braking systems too but that's not that relevant as you`ll see they vary anyway really (Bosch up front and something else at the back etc)

I do not have access to the PSA service section unfortunately.

What Jim says about suspension types is true too, from my basic listings I have here, I can see lots listed (basically 'normal' and 'heavy duty') for each engine type.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all :)
Right i have managed to get some info as listed below
Suspension-Steering-Brakes
ABS W/O ABS BRAKES
REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR ANTI-ROLL BAR DIAM 20
STEERING UNVARIABLE POWER STEERING
FRONT ANTI-ROLL BAR FRONT ANTI-ROLL BAR DIAM 19
SERVICE BRAKE WITH COMPENSATOR SLAVE
BRAKE TYPE VENTILATED FRONT DISCS/REAR DRUMS
SUSPENSION NORMAL SUSPENSION
ENGINE TURBO DIESEL DW10TD
OTHER BADGE HDI

Had a quick look and it appears that 106 and saxo rear axles are interchangeable to a degree.
Not sure what year range i should be looking at for a suitable 206 axle as the car is a 2000 Y plate,guessing somewhere between 1996-2003 ish

Waiting to hear back from the seller of This and also This.

Any pointers/thoughts on these would be welcome :) :)

Thanks for all your input so far really helpful :D

Colin
spider

Post by spider »

Are 106's axles going to be 'wide' enough ? :?:

I'll admit I've never took a tape measure to them to confirm, but if you are considering transplanting the whole lot, it may be a bit narrow...
Andy.

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Andy
Sorry i didnt explain that remark very well :oops: :oops:

In an earlier reply it was mentioned that some PSA cars used a similar setup to the 206. Having had a look it seems that 106 and saxo axles could be swapped with each other,not the 206 and a saxo axle :oops: :oops:

Colin
spider

Post by spider »

Heh, its OK.

The Saxo / 106 axles are the same really as they are the same car, bit like 306 vs ZX . :)

You need to get a 206 one ;) , although you should not have that much trouble finding one I would of thought really.
Andy.