Xantia suspension hard & not able to choose "middle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dodgy123
My Cars:

Xantia suspension hard & not able to choose "middle

Post by dodgy123 »

Hi,
I've got a problem with the hydraulics/suspension(?) of my xantia sx hdi (w reg)
I can get it to raise to the highest and drop to the lowrider but when i choose either normal setting it only ticks reasonably rapidly.
Has anyone encountered this?
I've read a lot about accumulators and spheres but i'm no mechanic. Is it just a case of changing the rear one, seems strange that it can do both extremes!?
The ride is also extremely hard on both settings

Thanks
Matt
Citroen Xantia SX hdi "2000"
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Matt and welcome

firstly if you can not get the car to sitt at either of the middle setting in between full up and full down, this sounds like one of the nylon hight corector links have poped off,

the cause of this is the H/C linkage mechanisum seizeing up, these are the two turrets on the H/C carrier/caridge and they are ment to be very free moveing,

the only long term fix is remove the H/C carridge lube and work the turrets till they are floppy loose, then re/fit and fit a new nylon link as the old one almost certainly will not stay in place for very,

the ticking is usualy the regulator sphere is low or out of gas (needs replaceing ) which is on the front of the gear box, this or either centre sphere will not improove the softness of the ride,

if the ride is still hard after the H/C is functioning correctly you will need to start replaceing the cornner sphere's, which the main culprit for hard ride (so long as the H/C's are working properly,

you could always as Jim (citrojim) if he has the time to check it out for you if he dosent mind as he is in your area,

regards malcolm

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's quite normal with a seized height corrector to be able to do both extremes as the manual height control acts on a different part of the mechanism.

Here's a diagram of both front and rear correctors:

Also, if the corrector is seized, the ride may be less than good. Spheres also may be past their best.

The tick you have heard about is the interval between the pressure regulator cutting in and out like a thermostat to regulate the main system hydraulic pressure. A short tick rate (less then 30s) normally indicates a tired accumulator sphere or a heavy internal leak.

I'm in Newport Pagnell. Sadly, present circumstances dictate that I am unable to take on any work for the foreseeable future.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dodgy123
My Cars:

Post by dodgy123 »

Thanks for your help guys. Looks like the haynes manual I ordered will come in handy!
I'll take a look at the correctors as soon as I can and try and loosen them.
What's the best place locally for parts? Or am I better going online?

Thanks again
matt
Citroen Xantia SX hdi "2000"
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dodgy123 wrote: What's the best place locally for parts? Or am I better going online?
Motorserv in Old Wolverton is good if not a tad pricey Matt.

ECP have a branch in Bletchley, near the H8/V4 roundabout. Rarely use them though.

Generally though, depending on what you need, GSF is hard to beat.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Hi Matt,

Take a look at this thread which details exactly what you need to do :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Pleiades, charged £79 plus fitting, (labour prices are very reasonable) for the complete rear height corector unit after mine completely seized last New years eve.

your not to far away from Pleiades in Milton keynes.

have you got breakdown cover with the AA or Rac etc they could be pursuaded to lift the car over there for you.

I am 35 miles from Pleiades but auto-home still took my xantia estate on a flatbed truck over there for me.

maybe it would be worth borrowing a car transporter trailer if you dont feel competent at doing the job yourself?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: maybe it would be worth borrowing a car transporter trailer if you dont feel competent at doing the job yourself?
It's good, smooth roads between MK and Pleiades so you should be OK driving there I'd have thought....
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Jim,

do you reckon thats a safe bet then with only the depth of your tyres as suspension?

the roads around sawtry are smooth but going through sawtry they are pretty rough badly maintained country lanes. take a bottle of milk with you and when you get there you can have a milkshake. :lol:

regards Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.