Xantia Steering Rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xantia Steering Rack

Post by rory_perrett »

Dear All
Just picked up an MOT failiure on the Xantia (didn't get one in 6 years with the BX). Reason, excessive play in near side rack. Chap at the garage said he thought there was someting under the gaiter at the rack end that can be unbolted and replaced rather than a replacement rack being required.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks as always
Rory
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Depends where the play is I think, if its in the track rod to rack ball joint then it may be possible.
If there is lift in the rack at the nearside, and this is a common mot failure of a steering rack, then it will require a new bush and this is very unlikely to be available to the diy'er, but if anyone knows otherwise.........
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The BX & CX steering racks I've seen out in free air & daylight, has in fact 2 replaceable balljoints each side : inner & outer. Rarely the inner joints fails, well protected as they are - but I've seen it on at least 1 BX rack removed off a wreck.
The Xantia must have the same basic design.
It's a bit more bothersome to replace the inner balljoints than the outer, but certainly much easier & cheaper than replacing the whole rack.
If the rack tube end bush is worn (Dave's idea), then the cam itself will have vertical play in the rack. This will require removal of the rack & probably then a recon rack unit.