How do I check and top up the gearbox oil in a C3 HDi?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NickPlymouth
My Cars: Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 HDi

How do I check and top up the gearbox oil in a C3 HDi?

Post by NickPlymouth »

I've just changed the springs on my missus C3 1.4HDi, and I lost a little gearbox oil.

I can see a plug on the transmission, but I think it is the drain plug.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the fill/level plug (assuming there is one!)

Thanks, Nick.
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

If its anything like a C5 there is no level plug - you put a known quantity in. I think........................
My Xantia is dead {at 250K) long live my C5 exclusive...Bing Bong Damaged Tyre Detected... Bing Bong ESP/ASR sys.....bing bloody bong.

01 C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive SE
Past loves 1.9TD Xanta RIP & 1.9D BX
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Haynes pic for 8 and 16V engines:

Says jack up front and back of car and support so that car is level, remove left wheel and then push in centre pins of plastic rivets a bit, pull them out and then remove arch liner for access to filler/level plug.

Oil level should reach lower edge of filler hole. Allow any trickle to stop after removal of plug, top up and leave any new trickle to stop which then means level is correct. Oil grade is 75W-80
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Nick,

I had a similar problem last week with my Berlingo (there's a thread about it on page 2).

My gearbox hasn't got a level plug as indicated in the Haynes manual, so I ended up draining it all out and the refilling with 2 litres (as per the manual) through the filler in the top of the gearbox.
NickPlymouth
My Cars: Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 HDi

Post by NickPlymouth »

Thanks James,
That was spot on. I couldn't see the fill plug for the wheel arch liner. Once I'd removed that, it was easy! :D
Nick.