The dreaded Intermediate bearing! Help please

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Goingnuts

The dreaded Intermediate bearing! Help please

Post by Goingnuts »

Hi all, newbie alert and I'm asking for help already.

I'm currently in the middle of a clutch change on my 206 1.4 hdi, I'm near enough ready to drop the box, but the only thing stopping me is the o/s drive shaft.

I've had a search and read through to see if I could crack this without having to ask and have tried the suggested things like hitting the bearing with a cold chisel and rotating the shaft. Alas, it doesn't want to budge. (I've removed the two retaining bolts for the bearing)

Will I be causing myself problems if I attempt to take the box off with the shaft still in place?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

A quick after thought, I've left the car in gear, will this have any effect on the end of the shaft that's in the gear box? The n/s just slipped out.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

you must remove the O/S shaft from the gear box before undoing the gear box to engine bolts, if you dont the shaft wedges itself into the splines in the diff outlet,

try boltting the box back to the engine then drift the shaft out by the colar which you see in the intermediate bearing houseing,

if you continue to remove the box whilst the intermediate bearing is still in it's houseing, you will almost certainly bend the inboard half of the drive shaft,

regards malcolm
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I did one on my 405 recently, it just took a bit of patience. Bang...rotate...bang...rotate....took 3-4 minutes but it got there. Like you I was sure it wasn't for budging, but then it just let go \:D/
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

When I did my 1.4 petrol 206 box, I drifted the o/s shaft out through the diff after first removing the n/s shaft. Space is tight but you can squeeze a robust enough thin bar through onto the end of the n/s shaft and knock it free from the intermediate bearing without damaging anything in between. I don't think this is necessarily a textbook way of doing things but it worked for me, so if in doubt.....

See this, from 3rd post on p2 http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... c&start=15

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you mean O/S shaft dont you Gammy,

i think even thought this method worked for you,

you must loose some of the impact to the fit of the intermediate bearing in its houseing, by driftting this fare away from its mountting point,

i alway drift against the thick steel colar the gear box side of the bearing mountting/houseing, this give a fare more direct impact right were it's needed,

and if you use a blunt drift it dose no damage to any thing,

beside that i think may be some person's might not be as carfull pocking steel bar's inside the diff gear, and WHOOOOOOPS,

regards malcolm
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

Thanks for the quick response all, I'm going back outside now for another go. Hopefully it'll take the hint and pop out.

I had thought of going through from where the near side shaft had been removed but I've not got anything slim enough yet also quite solid.

Hopefully I can report back soon with a message of success.
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

Unfortunately it won't budge, I've spent a good hour hammering away at the collar and rotating and it seems like it's stuck fast.
My other thought is to try and remove the mounting bracket complete from the engine block, only problem here is that one of the bolts will snag on the drive shaft the further out it comes.

I'm thinking it might just be easier to connect a few things up to get it rolling and have a garage take it out.
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

Well, finally the drive shaft is free, unfortunately it is still in the bearing housing. At least I can now get on with taking the box off. I've took the shaft to my local garage, hopefully they can free the two parts.

While at the garage they told me the exhaust and turbo will need to come off as there is a bolt which goes into the gearbox which is located behind the cat, anyone stumbled across this?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, i'm off out now for a much deserved pint :D