Xiantia electrical gremlin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pej
My Cars:

Xiantia electrical gremlin

Post by pej »

My '97 TD. has developed strange fault at odd times that causes rear fog warning light in dash to light up when no fog lights or other lights on.
When this happens and sidelights are on if ignition key turned to off engine does not stop but keeps running !! only way to stop engine is to turn sidelights off which stops engine.
In this fault condition if without ignition on sidelights are turned on (which work) one of radiator cooling fans also starts up.
Have had this problem for months, cannot tie it's occurrence down to rain or vibration only thought is it may be a bad earth somewhere but nothing obvious- anybody any theorys please ?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Has this problem existed ever since you owned the car, or is it more recent ?
It sounds like the side-light and/or fog circuit is linked into the stop solenoid circuit somehow, and keeping it live, I'd check for wires close together, and make sure they are both fully insulated.
I think the fogs are on a relay linked to the side lights, maybe someone else can confirm this ?
Mat.
pej
My Cars:

Post by pej »

[:)]Discovered answer with much relief to my electrical gremlin- boot cluster light unit had suffered severe internal corrosion from leaking boot spoiler mounting at some previous time-cleaned it all up and hey presto gremlin exorcised permantly[:D]