Xantia alarm problems (one of 4,900,345)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

first-things-first

Xantia alarm problems (one of 4,900,345)

Post by first-things-first »

Hi all
It seems I am alone in having alarm issues [:D] so I hope you can all help.
My issue :
Alarm goes off (fuse 17 removed at mo) by flashing headlights when open door or boot or bonnet (after unlocking with plipper - previously deadlocked). Under bonnet key switch for alarm now does nothing (did click before and switch off alarm).
When fuse 17 is in the alarm is likely to do weird things and some of the dashboard lights (glowplug, parking brake amongst others) glow dimly without the key in the ignition. The engine will not stop when the key is removed from the iginition with fuse 17 in place (need to use stop lever on pump). Otherwise central locking and other electrics work OK (although I do get an indicator relay buzz which I believe is the indicator wand which has a short in it - could be part of issue??)
I assume the alarm is fecked. Some say the alarm unit is in the engine bay, some in the passenger compartment (foot well, under seat or under console). Could someone tell me where it is for a 1993 'L' Xantia TD hatch?
I will also check for condensation/water as suggested in other alarm issues.
I will also probably pour petrol on the alarm (once removed) and dance round it till it burns in hell where it belongs[:D]
Thanks in advance
Andrew
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Alarm ECU is under the passenger seat and prone to getting attacked by water if you have either of the (uncommon as alarm) problems of leaking heater matrix or leaking scuttle (wet passenger foot well). It certainly sounds like this may be the root of your problems. It is also not unknown for the Alarm ECU to just go into a strop and refuse to play. I think, however, given the blackpool illuminations status of your dash lights that you may have a more sinister earth fault gremlin lurking somewhere. I foresee some long nights poring over the wiring diagrams to find the common link (which you know will be an oily wire down the back of the starter somewhere!).
Richard
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Hmmmm. Did you ever watch that film Christine, about the possessed car?
Be afraid. Be very afraid. Neither burning petrol nor sledgehammer attacks on the bodywork will make any difference. [}:)]
first-things-first

Post by first-things-first »

Thanks RichardW for the reply. Very quick as well! I might well change the indicator stalk as well just to make sure that is not the cause of the earth problems. I love electrics by the way as you might have guessed [8)][}:)]
MW, maybe an exorcism is more in order. Do they kill gremlins as well [:D]
Thanks
Andrew
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The film aint all that, the book on the other hand!! (me thinks its Steven King?).
Is this a TexAlarm by anychance? they seem to be VERY unreliable. Would be interested to find out what the code number is if its a Texalarm, will be some thing like AV-xxxx (x's being numbers).
t4xi
My Cars:

Post by t4xi »

i had a very similar problem, even removing the alarm fuse wouldnt stop it going off as i drove down the road ,turned out to be a leak causing the carpet to become soaked under the front passengers seat, push the seat right forward and you should be able to get to the alarm module through the split in the carpet
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Earth faults bring 'goose-bumps' on my 'goose-bumps'. I recently sorted a similar horrendous problem on a 'lion 306' (which caused the heater fan to run at all times except when the ignition was on !!) by identifying the earth bound cable on the heater wiring and connecting a new earth to it. I couldn't figure where the original cable went after it dissappeared behind the dash so running a 'new' earth wire from a suitable place and connecting to the heater wiring using a 'scotchblock' sorted it. Worked a treat. Other niggly problems not directly associated with heater also dissappeared. Job well done.