1.9 TD auxilliary belt problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeteW1959
My Cars:

1.9 TD auxilliary belt problem

Post by PeteW1959 »

About 9 months ago the auxilliary belt failed on the motorway, my fault as I knew it was on its way out and hadn't got round to changing it. Anyway got towed, had it replaced and all seemed OK.

About 6 weeks ago I had a problem with hydraulic fluid leaking all over the belt. The leak has been fixed, but I noticed that the belt had moved over on the pulley by one notch towards the engine. I put it down to the hydraulic oil causing it to slip and jump, so I forced it back across and again it all seemed OK.

Then 2 weeks ago I went on a 300+ mile journey, and when I got there found that the belt had moved over so much towards the engine that it had shreedded down to half the width.

Again had it replaced, but this time the garage said that the adjuster lock bolt was completely seized and had to be drilled out. They said that this was probably how the belt had moved over, the previous garage just forced the belt on without undoing the adjuster and it was too slack.

I thought that that was the end of the story, but now 2 weeks and about 500 miles later, the belt has moved by one nothch the other way, away from the engine!

Anyone know what can be causing it? The last garage to look at it said that the bearings on all the pulleys it runs over are all OK.

Thanks
Pete
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Estate, 230000 miles and still hanging on....just.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

There are two tensioners, one behind the pump that is spring loaded and automantically adjusts the tension as the belt ages, and one down low which is excentric and is locked in place by it's centre bolt.
I'd say this is the one which was seized and had to be drilled off.

Did they replace the tensioner or just the bolt?
I'd replace both tensioners, but also check that the pump, alternator and aircon compressor are all secure incase one has lost a bolt and is leaning ever so slightly.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds like the VERY common awfully stupid auto tensioner problem has dropped the needle roller bearings and is allowing the roller to lean over..

With the engine stopped have a look from above at the roller, is it leaning to one side at all???

Whats its behaviour when running?? Does it bounce a lot causing a low dronning rattle noise??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Just another thought. When my crankshaft pulley started to pack up (the outer bit rotated relative to the inner as the rubber bit sandwiched between the two died) the part driving the aux belt began to get out of alignment. If this is allowed to get too bad, it might result in the belt being shifted on the ribs of the the others.

Cheers
Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Have you had the spring replaced that sits in/behind/part off the tensioner.
I have lost a couple of belts due to not having the spring replaced although i replaced the tensioner and the eccentric pulley as i believed these were at fault.It was not until i was nudged into the effects of the spring on the tensioner that i finally resolved the problem :oops:

just have a look at the pics below to see how much damage can be caused to the tensioner pulley when the spring allows it to run out of true :twisted: :twisted:

Colin
PeteW1959
My Cars:

Post by PeteW1959 »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have a good look over the weekend, and might just replace everything connected with the tensioners just to be sure!
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Estate, 230000 miles and still hanging on....just.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pete,

This thread will help with replacement of the tensioner...

It looks a rough job but with the long ball-ended Allen key it's not too bad.

Check the spring is good!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...