Strut return pipe
-
davewithington
- Posts: 224
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 15:02
Strut return pipe
Returning to the Xantia after shopping las Thursday, saw what looked like a puddle behind the right hand front wheel. It was - a reasonably sized pool of LHM. Drove home gently, just a couple of miles, with the "Stop" lights on the dash flickering on acceleration.
Had a look when I got home, the back of the wheelarch was dripping wet. Phoned my knowledgeable BX owning friend (he's got three now - just bought a GTi 16V) who said it would be the rubber strut return pipe, which perishes over time.
And so it was, a big split just on the first right angle bend. I've done a temporary repair by cutting it in two and inserting a short length of brake pipe with a couple of cable ties. This will last 'till I've got the new pipe. I'll change both sides as a precaution.
Might be worthwhile having a look to see if your own pipes are weeping chaps. It's expensive in fluid, not to mention inconvenience when your fluid empties all over the car park
Had a look when I got home, the back of the wheelarch was dripping wet. Phoned my knowledgeable BX owning friend (he's got three now - just bought a GTi 16V) who said it would be the rubber strut return pipe, which perishes over time.
And so it was, a big split just on the first right angle bend. I've done a temporary repair by cutting it in two and inserting a short length of brake pipe with a couple of cable ties. This will last 'till I've got the new pipe. I'll change both sides as a precaution.
Might be worthwhile having a look to see if your own pipes are weeping chaps. It's expensive in fluid, not to mention inconvenience when your fluid empties all over the car park
-
citroenxm
- Fallen Hero
- Posts: 8061
- Joined: 30 Dec 2004, 23:10
- x 70
These return pipes do preish and split apart easilly.. However, you'll only get fluid out if theres a bad internal strut leak!!
Ive known these pipes to be off and there be a completely dry area there..
Does your car sink at all while the engine is stopped, or igintion off??
Paul
Ive known these pipes to be off and there be a completely dry area there..
Does your car sink at all while the engine is stopped, or igintion off??
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project
A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project
A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
-
davewithington
- Posts: 224
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 15:02
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55070
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8391
-
citronut
- Posts: 10937
- Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
- x 94
-
Martin Beevers
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 23:27
-
citronut
- Posts: 10937
- Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
- x 94
-
davewithington
- Posts: 224
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 15:02
My temporary repair came apart today, and fluid poured out of the end not connected to the strut - the strut end wasn't leaking at all, so looks like the return harness was draining out
Just for reference, if anyone needs to order one of these, they are the same for both sides, part number 95 030 399, leak back hose.
Your local parts department may not be able to find them on Citroen Service, as they are shown on the fich labelled "Front Springs"
I love the French
Just for reference, if anyone needs to order one of these, they are the same for both sides, part number 95 030 399, leak back hose.
Your local parts department may not be able to find them on Citroen Service, as they are shown on the fich labelled "Front Springs"
I love the French
-
RichardW
- Forum Treasurer
- Posts: 12584
- Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
- x 1488
-
MikeT
- Posts: 4808
- Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
- x 232
Richard, those clips are re-usable but without the specific pliers, it's real PITA! I had to resort to tie-wrapping it back in place (including the original clip) until I could get assistance to refit the original clip.
With the correct tool, though I'd imagine it's an absolute doddle to replace single-handed.
With the correct tool, though I'd imagine it's an absolute doddle to replace single-handed.
-
andmcit
- Posts: 4299
- Joined: 03 Mar 2005, 17:59
- x 30
Going over the same ground as here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
piccies and prices help fill some gaps!!
Andrew
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
piccies and prices help fill some gaps!!
Andrew
-
davewithington
- Posts: 224
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 15:02
-
citronut
- Posts: 10937
- Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
- x 94
-
MikeT
- Posts: 4808
- Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
- x 232
-
citronut
- Posts: 10937
- Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
- x 94