done it again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spliffy
My Cars:

done it again

Post by spliffy »

yes iv done it again after having my beloved xantia written off , i been and bought another xantia 2.0lt vsx, she is in jade green and the body is very tidy. i got it yesterday a 450mile round trip, it has problem thou, car was constantly steaming up could not feel any air coming from windscreen vents,the control lever that control which vents the air comes out ofand the recycle lever are notchy and spring back does that sound like a heater box prob or control panel prob it has a few other problems but easily repaired just one more question how do you add a photo of your car on your profile like you others do cheers
Spliffy
have owned : renault 21,mk1 megane 1.6 8v
currently own renault megane grand scenic ( 1.9 dci privelige )
currently own renault megane coupe 1.6 16v
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: done it again

Post by spider »

spliffy wrote:one more question how do you add a photo of your car on your profile like you others do cheers
Click to edit your profile

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/p ... ditprofile

Scroll right down. Use either

Upload Avatar from your machine: (browse and upload an avatar, the best option)

Upload Avatar from a URL: copy and paste the full link in of the avatar instead

And click Submit. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Spliffy and congratulations on your purchase!

The "noticy" recirculation lever action will be caused by a kink in the cable, most likely at the lever end.

This is a job that's almost impossible top fix unless you dismantle the car completely. Just check the recirc flap is in the fresh position and leave it at that. The falp can most easily be got to by removing the blower in the passenger well. Remove felt cover piece and three screws and the blower is out. If you now look up you can see the flap. Make sure it's set to fresh and then leave the lever on the dash well alone!

Whilst you're there, check the pollen filter (assuming the car has aircon) as it may be locked badly. Slide off the long cover and extract filter.

Is the blower running OK? If not, you'll get hardly any air through the vents.

There's a "sticky" in the "Supersticky" section that goes into blower problems. If the blower is not running and the car is non-aircon, the most likely issue is a blown thermal fuse on the resistor pack.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

the fans are working fine so is the climate control and yes the car has aircon the problem lies with the control levers the recycle just springs back to the fresh position and the the other lever which controls which vents work will only go as far as the middle cheers
Spliffy
have owned : renault 21,mk1 megane 1.6 8v
currently own renault megane grand scenic ( 1.9 dci privelige )
currently own renault megane coupe 1.6 16v
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

is it steamming up the windscreen constantly? more so when the top dash board vents are open to demist the windscreen?

check the expansion bottle water level is it reducing the level should be about half way up the slot on the engine side of the neck of the bottle.

sounds awfully like the heater matrix has a pinhole in it, try closing off the air vents completely and setting the fan/blower to maximum blow then open one of the top centre dash vents quickly do you get a fine mist of spray blown out at you?

is there any moisture in the footwells? are the carpets wet? is there a fishy smell or a smell of anti-freeze in the car?

these all point to the possability of a hole in the heater matrix.

you could try putting some forte stop leak in the radiator expansion bottle apparently its pretty good at stopping these pin hole leaks.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to type up the correct name for the stuff.

I know it sounds daft but was the car parked under a tree where you bought it from have you thought to check the air intake under the bonnet for leaves, even wet leaves?

I'm assumming looking at your signatures that you must know the diffetrence between a dodgey heater matrix and a good one.

when you lift the bonnet is the rubber strip present that stops water running down into the air intake, if it is missing you could just have wet air passages and possibly the air filter has become damp and clogged with dust. might be worth just changing the air-con pollen filter behind the heater blower first of all. if it is anything other than white when you remove it which it probably will be its worth replacing it.

hope you sort it soon regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 06 Jun 2010, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Forte Stop-Leak it is Nigel :)
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Spliffy
As Jim says the fresh/recirculation lever will probably be because the wire is bent,i was lucky and mine was in the heater control panel.Easy enough to get to,just remove the radio plus other associated facia parts,ashtray and surrounds.You will then have access to the control panel,not sure if its 2 or 4 screws that hold it place.When you undo these you can wiggle the whole thing out of the facia but not by much :twisted:
If you pop the black cover off you have access to the innards.From memory the fresh/recirc cable is on the top right hand wheel.I played about with a pair of pliers to bend it back into shape,does take a fair dose of percy wotsits though.

As for the vent slider springing back you can also examinr this as its the top left wheel :) It does sound as though something is caught in the wheel/wire.Not sure if there are differences between MK1 and MK2 but the MK1 panel bulbs slot down between the wheels/gearing it maybe that its popped out of its slot and impeading movement :)

Colin