dodgy Lambda sensors on Xantia 1.8i

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tom.Abd
My Cars:

dodgy Lambda sensors on Xantia 1.8i

Post by Tom.Abd »

Hi guys,
'00 (W) Xantia 1.8i 16v just gone in for it's 1st MOT and failed [:(] What the garage said it failed on was a leaky hydraulic fitting (well they need to find something), leaking anti-sink valve (hmmm) and emissions (wot - on a 3 yr old car!). To get it through they have had to replace the anti-sink valve and lambda sensor (ouch - there's that pain in the wallet again [xx(]).
What I'm asking is if this is a typical fault with the EMS / sensors, or a one in a thousand. It's not that I don't trust the garage - but they are the main dealer. Also is this the sort of fault that should be picked up on a routine service (last one 4 months ago) ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well Tom -
Basically that's the discussion we had a few y's ago here in DK, when the periodic 2y MOT was to start.
Should main dealers be repsonsible for MOT's ?
- the answer was NO.
I'd agree the garage should have picked up these problems at last routine service - why else do routine services ?
It's a bit "smelly" these problems found in last minute to get such a new car MOT'ed.
This also means you'd use an independent garage for next MOT - ??
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Just to highjack this thread slightly, I put my Xantia 2.0i 8v VSX auto in for an MOT today also. Would have sailed through except it also failed on its emissions. Now my car is 94L with 115,000 miles but had its cat replaced last year, everything else was fine, no warnings or anything as I look after it, but the emissions were slightly high. Can anyone suggest what to look at, the garage said I should give the car a good clean out before bringing it back for a re-test of the emissions, ie give it a good thrashing and get the catalyst nice and warm. But should I be looking at lambda sensor, ignition leads etc also??
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

disconnect the battery & ECU for half an hour before it goes back to re-set the paramiters,this is quite common on the 8v petrol xantias. then give it a thrashing,might also be worth adding a bottle of fuel system cleaner.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go. I did put some fuel injector cleaner through in the last couple of tanks, knowing it wouldn't do any harm to run some through before the MOT. So I'll give the battery disconnection a go this weekend. Just one thing, is there any way of getting the radio code off the radio before disconnecting it? I'm not sure I'll be able to find the code, though I do have all the original books.
HOLD IT...
Found the radio code it was in the books as I hoped. But in reference to the post below where is the ECU to be found should I want to follow the advice below and clean the connections?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My Dad's 1.8 8V (93L) failed its first MOT on emissions. Unplugging the ECU and plugging it back in again was enough to reinstate the signal from the lambda sensor (which is vey weak). He always takes the computer out and sprays the contacts with WD-40 before the MOT now.
Most leaky hydraulics on Cits can be cured by tightening the pipe unions (carefully!) - hopefully my PAS is an example of this!
Richard
Location of ECU.... not sure - under the bonnet somewhere, depending on what other computer controlled things you have (ABS, Hydractive). I *THINK* it will be in the box on the O/Side wing next to the expansion tank - there's a space in there on my Mate's TD VSX that has ABS and Hydractive.
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Cheers Anders / Richard,
Probably was a bit naive of me to go with the main dealer, but they have been good and fair to date. I know a good back street garage that will get next years MOT, and now it's over 3 years old and not under any sort of warranty it will be a good independent for servicing.
I'd agree with the comment about the leaky hydraulics, and surprise surprise, after checking back through all the service logs they have been tightening that same connection for the last 2 years. My theory is that the apprentice (or the like) probably stripped the flats on the last service so resulting in a new hose and valve.
First time I've heard about the trick for the ECU but I will bear it in mind next year.
Thanks for all your comments.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

My 94 ZX 1.4 (73000 miles) failed its MOT for emissions amongst other things. But only on the idle test CO level. A quick oil change and it passed with flying colours.
Worth a go if you do mainly short runs.