C5 looks expensive...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hdi_man
My Cars:

C5 looks expensive...

Post by hdi_man »

one thing about the new C5, especially in exclusive trim is how expensive looking it is. a number of people have commented to me "how can you afford that" etc. also people have been very impressed with the quality of the interior trim. - I think this is to do with the sheer size and lots of chrome trim....my point is - I can't see people thinking this of a ford mondeo or mazda 6 !

the C5 has even impressed a few die hard German car fans...although I'm not sure I'll see them buying one anytime soon!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Vorsprung durch FrenchChic!?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, its certainly a classy car and possibly looks a cut above its opposition, which are getting fatter, heavier and even more ugly. If Vauxhalls family car gets any bigger in the next generation model it will require a HGV licence!

I can't think of any other large family car which is on sale today that i would buy other than the C5. Possibly a 407 but i dont like that as much with its recent facelift.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I agree - of all the German Krap I guess the Passat and Phaeton look OK and
that's because they're understated and not Bangalised/Influenced. I think
Citroen could steal a march on them all if it set into production some of the
latest visually dramatic exciting concepts. I don't think the whole market can
perpetually stay in staid totally bland 'me-too' conservative design.

Andrew
logiclee
My Cars:

Post by logiclee »

Mazda, Vauxhall, Ford and of course BMW are all striving to be "The Ultimate Driving Machine". They want the magazine reviewers to be astounded at the cars handling on the smooth roads they have chosen for a launch venue.

To be honest I think both the Insignia and Mondeo are well built and they are both lighter than the equivalent C5 but the higher spec models have huge wheels with very low profile tyres and a very firm ride. Get the sport pack on a Insignia SRI(Now a trim level with any engine) and you get 20" wheels with 30 series rubber.

What you get is a ride that's way too firm around town, thudding and bumping over pot holes and ridges and massive tyre roar at speed.
Ford run a promotion in 2008 and the Sport Pack was free on many models, this means many Mondeo's have the very firm suspension and 18" alloys. I'm a regular on fordmondeo.org and they have a dedicated Mk4 section. Some owners have even bought a set of 16" wheels to try and soften the car up and lessen the tyre roar.
The Mk3 Mondeo also had a GhiaX spec with luxury options, the Mk4 only has the TitaniumX as a high spec model and that's biased towards sporty bits so you get big alloys, blacked out windows and a few gadgets but no electric seat adjustment or adjustable suspension, everything is an option.

So that's why after five Mondeos I've switched to the C5. The Mk4 Mondeo has gone off to compete with the sporty executive saloon and tailored it's ride for the press. I'm afraid the Mk4 is not for me.

Cheers
Lee
2009 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Auto. Storm Grey.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The Mk4 Mondeo looks like its running on casters with anything less than 17" wheels, and even they dont look quite bigh enough for the car. Its the same with the 3 series too, they just dont suit little wheels and big wheels ruin the car.

Its odd this appealing to sporty driver business and i cant see why, yes other than getting better reviews in the mags.

Most familys now buy mid sized cars (C4 size) or MPVs, as they are usually big enough for peoples needs. Most large family cars seem to be company owned and spend most of their time on motorways - why is sportyness needed on motorways!

I dont get it, i think im old before my time, but what i want from my car is a nice ride, a quiet place to be and lots of kit. I use my car mainly on motorways and my C5 provides everything i want from a car. Its good to drive, it can be pushed around quickly and does have the grip on offer when needed. Im by no means a slow driver but never have problems with the C5.

I get very annoyed with 'normal' cars now, i just cant go back to a conventionally sprung car, ive tried, but I dont like them.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: C5 looks expensive...

Post by red_dwarfers »

hdi_man wrote: A number of people have commented to me "how can you afford that"
I've surprisingly had that a good few times with the Xantia!
I think its the body coloured bumpers that do it. Or maybe the fact that a lot of people my age are driving around in tin cans.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 looks expensive...

Post by myglaren »

red_dwarfers wrote: Or maybe the fact that a lot of people my age are driving around in tin cans.
:D :D :D