Central Locking Issue's [ 1999 XSARA ]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

d3xt0r
My Cars:

Central Locking Issue's [ 1999 XSARA ]

Post by d3xt0r »

Hi, I have just purchased a 1999 Xsara 1.4 Petrol and it came with a central locking issue.

Bare in mind the Drivers door lock is ceased.

If sitting in drivers seat and pressing the door lock, all the doors lock. If you press the passenger front button they all lock then instantly unlock with the exception of the Drivers door which does nothing and the passenger door stays locked. When locking the drivers door with the key from outside the locks all lock then unlock with the exception of the drivers door which does nothing and the passenger door which stays locked.

I'm confused as to what the Problem is. It doesnt make sense to me if the drivers door locks everything from the inside.

Any help would be much appreciated.

d3xt0r

P.S i know this is only my 2nd post but you normally start off with a question then help were you can. Im a VIP member of a Major forum with Threads: 354,150, Posts: 1,801,059, Members: 52,568. were i contribute alot and help were i can. So i am not here to get my info then go. i'm also a member of the Fiat forum were i have helped and been helped.

:) Hope i can get to know you lot very well, Thanks

Car Diagnostic Kits
Last edited by d3xt0r on 14 Jul 2010, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

The first thing that spring's to mind is the wiring loom from the door frame to the door it's self, it's quite common for the wiring within the loom to break/snap due to tight bends the wiring is routed through, it's a tad fiddly but try removing the rubber sleeve and look for broken wiring in both front door wiring looms, the earth wire is quite thick & is the most likely cause of the issue but it's not un-common to find a few broken wires within this loom. Clues to broken wiring looms can also manifest them selves in no operation of the interior light, faulty (electric) window operation & no sound from the door speaker(s) but the most obvious is non operation of the central locking.
Music keeps me going.
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

Thanks, I'll have a look at it tonight.

d3xt0r
quintet wrote:The first thing that spring's to mind is the wiring loom from the door frame to the door it's self, it's quite common for the wiring within the loom to break/snap due to tight bends the wiring is routed through, it's a tad fiddly but try removing the rubber sleeve and look for broken wiring in both front door wiring looms, the earth wire is quite thick & is the most likely cause of the issue but it's not un-common to find a few broken wires within this loom. Clues to broken wiring looms can also manifest them selves in no operation of the interior light, faulty (electric) window operation & no sound from the door speaker(s) but the most obvious is non operation of the central locking.
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

All looks fine on the drivers side, will move car over to check passenger side tomorrow. The Loom is connected using a Plug, pretty neat.

Only problem with the solution above is;

The doors ALL lock from the drivers from INSIDE but wont lock from other doors so the wiring surely in the drivers door is fine.

thanks
d3xt0r

Car Diagnostic Kits
Last edited by d3xt0r on 14 Jul 2010, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

There are numerous switches and motors in each door I beleive. It sounds as if one switch in the drivers door isn't giving the locked signal, hence when locking, they all immediately unlock.

But I'm confused when you say the lock is seized yet you can operate both the button and the keylock?
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

Hi Mike, The door lock on the drivers door is ceased so cannot turn key but the lock works from inside.

Thanks
d3xt0r

EDIT: I'm going to take the lock out and strip/clean it to hopefully release it, I'm hopeing that it is the lock that is causing the c/l issue.

Car Diagnostic Kits
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

d3xt0r wrote:I'm going to take the lock out and strip/clean it to hopefully release it, I'm hopeing that it is the lock that is causing the c/l issue.
I doubt that will help.

I had the same problem on my Xsara with siezed key barrels which I only discovered when the remote plip was accidentally un paired. I took a barrel out but was unable to dismantle it to its parts. I managed to get one working by simply repeatedly squirting WD40 into the key slot and inserting and withdrawing the key many, many times whilst ever-so-slightly trying to turn the key when fully inserted.

I went without being able to lock my car for several weeks until one finally freed up. I now use the key to manually lock and unlock every week or so after a squirt of WD40. The other one is still siezed BTW.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

each of the front central locking motors will have a signal wire which sends a signal to the other doors to unlock or lock depending what your trying to do with the key

when you press the button to lock the doors the central locking tries to lock but the mechanism doesn't move far enough so the system then receives the unlock signal from the problem door,

this can be caused by a door not properly closed, which i assume can't be your problem,

this can also be caused by a stuck or broken lock mechanism, the reason it doesn't happen when you do it by hand is because your finger can exert more pressure to lock the lock than the central locking can motor can which is another possible reason for it happening a weak motor,

if it is like the c5 the lock will have the central locking motor built into it, I'd start by changing it, not the barrel. it can be tricky to get into door locks to disconnect and connect the different bars to swap one but if your handy with the screw drivers take your time and have patience there not too bad.
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

Thanks wright,

i'll try all the doors for broken wires dodgy bars etc. Using the front passenger door to lock the doors(from inside) locks then unlocks but the drivers door doesnt move so i guess it might be that door that is the issue.

Thank you all for your comments, i hope to resolve the issue very soon.

d3xt0r

Car Diagnostic Kits