Xantia suspension noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swampy6311
My Cars:

Xantia suspension noise

Post by swampy6311 »

Hi i have an early 1.9TD xantia M reg. When i switch off the engine and get out the car the front rises, a minute later the front drops down again to ride hight but in doing so makes a loud groaning noise like a fart :oops: . When i start the car again some time later the whole car drops then lifts up again front first. This seamed to happen shortly after changing the front spheres. Has any one else had this problem please :?: :?
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Mine does this, i think its a problem with the pipes vibrating from what ive read. Doesnt cause a problem on mine but the noise is annoying.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
swampy6311
My Cars:

Xantia suspension noise

Post by swampy6311 »

Thanks for the reply Brigsygtt this should help to narrow down the search. :D
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Could it be related to a lack of lubrication on the front struts?
Do you find the when the front of the car goes up or down via the manual height control lever, that it does so in stages?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
swampy6311
My Cars:

Xantia suspension noise

Post by swampy6311 »

Yes red_dwarfers it does move in steps, would you suggest a light oil on the strut or will that not lube the seal :?: Thanks.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Stick some LHM or grease onto the struts, I put moly grease on but I'm no expert on greases, could be that some are better than others.
This stopped mine dropping down in steps, also the occasional creaking that I was getting (unless it was coincidence of course).
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Mine does the same thing. A couple of weeks ago, I parked with the front number plate just touching the top of a stupid 'log' fence. As we walked away from the care there was a nasty cracking noise - as the front suspension did its rise-and-sink trick, the bottom edge of the number plate flicked over the top of the 'logs', caught and then tried to support the front of the car! Time for set of new plates (the old rear plate had unsightly rust stains down it).

Personally, I use Wynn's White grease (aerosol) on the front struts and the height control mechanisms as well locks etc. It's non-staining, waterproof and contains PTFE (Teflon). This doesn't stops the front suspension groaning, but does make the movement much smoother.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)