BE3 Gearboxes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

BE3 Gearboxes

Post by handyman »

Citronut is about to undertake a transmission repair for me and there are queries about the current BE3 gearbox fitted to the Xantia 1.8, 16V. I have a 'box fitted to a 2.0 engine that is available and access to another 1.9D 'box.

What are the significant differences between BE3 gearboxes for petrol and diesel engines? Are there any bellhousing differences?

I am assuming that diff. ratios will be different. How easy to swap diffs between gearboxes?

Any info much appreciated. None in the BOL! :(

Handyman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Physically Handyman, no difference.

Grat ratios are very different.

Diff crownwheel is easy enough to swap but the pinion is part of the output shaft and that's no so easy. It's a full egarbox strip job.

Have a look at this website and have a read of EvilAlly's post in the Peugeot Section.

Between us, you'll find everything you need to know about getting inside a BE3..

Have fun!

EDIT: I can also supply a very big PDF of the BE overhaul chapters from a very old BoL when they did go into detail. It's actually for the BE1/5 fitted to early BXs but apart from reverse being lift up by first, they are the same.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, I've sent you an email. H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote:Hi Jim, I've sent you an email. H
Won't be able to access my email for a few hours... I'll get to it as sooon as I can though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Citronut has revealed the problem and luckily it weren't the gearbox! :shock:

I will be posting some interesting information and photos about a multi-piece clutch as wot was fitted to the Xantia.

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Handyman,

email replied. Sorry I was so late in doing so but my blog will reveal all in due course...

Interested to hear what the cause was...
Jim