Peugeot 306 1994 - No Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cox377

Peugeot 306 1994 - No Headlights

Post by cox377 »

Hello All,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I've recently aquired a 306 XLD, all seems fine apart from no head lights. The dipped beam works but not the full beam, on either bulb. I have checked the fuse, No. F24 and it seems fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated

CoXen
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Does full beam work on the 'flash' (turn headlights off and pull the stalk towards you) ? , that will rule out all the other fuses.

Normally headlight faults with these can be traced to the dim dip resistor although when that gives problems only main works not dip (silver cannister about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch diameter, it will be around the fuse box on the passenger wing under the bonnet or near the radiator, basically not far from the headlight wiring.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Sorry I got it the wrong way round, the full beam woirks but the dipped doesnt.

Side lights work as do all the dash etc.

I'll have a look for the canister,

Is there anyway to test it?

coXen
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think you can measure the resistance between the three pins on it (I'm going from memory)

There should be equal resistance between the centre pin and each outside one. (test with one probe in the center then check the resistance of each 'side') unplug it before testing obviously.

You may find its just the plug on it that's corroded etc. They are normally more or less just spade type connectors in the plug anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just try unpluging it and short the terminals across, this will proovethe resistor is or isnt ok,

regards malcolm
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Finally managed to find my multi metre. I've checked out the plug goiing onto the silver cylinder as per instructuon and I'm not getting any power at all, even when full beam is on.

Can anyone make any further suggestions?

CoXen
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Could be the switch. There's also a dim dip relay somewhere that may have failed - not sure where though it was somewhere around the fuse box on our ZX - I never found it though, as clicking it rapidly on and off for a bit stopped it sticking in the off position.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

James did you look in the bottom of the under bonnet fuse box, below the plastic that holds the relays, as i said to you when i saw you i had a 306 with no lights, and it turned out to be a heavy blue wire which comes up into the bottom of said fuse box, had obviously chaffed on some tin work then completely arked through,

regards malcolm
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Right, I had a look under the bonnet to the box on the right, there appear to be two relays that look like headlight pictures on. One shows power when on full beam is on and the other has no power at all.

The second thing, it looks like fuse F24 is for headlights, this is showing no power going to or from it which I guess could indicate a switch fault?

CoXen
cox377

Post by cox377 »

Well, the bulbs are fine. I;ve even tested the connector block going to the bulb. That blue power cable going to dipped defiantly doesnt provide any power.

Right, the latest. THere is defiantly power going from the large plug came on the steering column switch when on dripped, I'm unable to follow the cable to the replay under the bonnet. When adding a live to the replay, the lights come on.

Somewhere between the switch and the relay is the break, or a faulty connection on the alarm.

Does anyone know where the standard alarm is on this motor?

CoXen