Xantia brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Smalltower
My Cars:

Xantia brake problem

Post by Smalltower »

Hello again,
I am having problems with my Xantias brakes. For a couple of weeks now, the brakes feel weak. I have to use much more pressure on the pedal than before to get the car to brake well. Today they became even worse. It feels like only the front brakes are working because, besides the weak braking, the car dives down hard if front every time I apply the brakes. Any suggestions ?
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Nothing beyond checking callipers/pads/disks. I think this is where your problems will lie.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What is the rest of the hydraulic system like? Is the regulator ticking frequently? Does the car take a long time to rise? If the regulator is ticking frequently then the acumulator sphere is the first likely cause, and would cause a lack of back up pressure being available for the brakes.
Jeremy
Smalltower
My Cars:

Post by Smalltower »

The car takes about 30 seconds to rise after it has been totally lowered and the rest of the circuit seems to be great.The regulator ticks only when the selected height of the suspension has been reached. It doesn't tick repeatedly. Yesterday I replaced the LHM with hydraulic flush and bled the whole circuit. The brakes feel much better but still feel weak when braking hard. The front right pads also make a grinding noise under hard braking, even though the pads and disk look new.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

There is a possibility that the rear brakes are in fact seized; it's a common problem with Citroens. The front are so efficient, that the rears tend to go on permanent holidays due to rarely being used & then simply jam up.
With any of our cars, any opportunity I get I make the effort to free them up; with the system depressurised, if you try to prise the pads off the rotors, you'll possibly find they won't budge; they can be very hard to crack loose sometimes if they've been progressively getting tighter over a period of time & then suddenly decided to lock up.
I wouldn't get too pannicky about it; check this before you start delving into the bowels of the hydraulic system. Cheapest option is more likely the cause than the expensive route. [:D][:D]
Alan S