reaction time please for body panel glue?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

reaction time please for body panel glue?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, I once bought a silicone type tube of body panel glue from wilko's car mart but havent seen any in there for ages I used it to seal my xantia estate rear window seal to stop the rain getting into my boot through the rear door.

the tubes fit into an ordinary silicone gun.

has anyone seen this stuff on their travels please only wilkos dont sell it any more health a saftey issues with it unfortunately.
Thanks in advance.
Nigel
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 14 May 2010, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Most motor factors will have it.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you wanting a one part adhesive, or a catalysed product?

Sika sell a range of single-pack adhesives. Often they will recommend a primer - sold only in quantities far greater than you need, and not cheap (the primer does enhance bonding, though).

3M and Fusor sell two part cartridge systems. Be warned some require a proprietary "gun" at great expense.

Silicone sealants have no place on the bodywork of a car you plan to keep. Engines are a different kettle of fish!
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

"SIKAFLEX" IS A ONE PART PANEL GLUE AND IS USED ON LANDROVERS FOR THE PANEL JOINING ON DISCOVERIES STICKS LIKE THE PROVERBIAL AND REMAINS FLEXIBLE :wink:
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I cannot remember the make of the stuff I bought before it required no mixing it was in a white tube black in colour and set like a weld but the curing time was very slow probably 24 hours in very warm weather.

the tube fitted straight into a standard caulking gun.

the tube was white.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sikaflex 221? I'd wager the OEM glue is a two part; curing is a far more reliable process then.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I cannot remember the make of the stuff I bought before it required no mixing it was in a white tube black in colour and set like a weld but the curing time was very slow probably 24 hours in very warm weather.

the tube fitted straight into a standard caulking gun.

the tube was white.
that does sound like sikaflex it does take a long time to cure but once set the flex in it is to allow for movement in the panels during summer and winter and it is a standard size tube as well and the glue is black in colour bloody good stuff though
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
Simon99
My Cars:

Post by Simon99 »

If your looking for body panel sealant/adhesive try ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tiger-Seal-Polyur ... 2a0686b9ca

Got a good range of automotive polyurethane adhesives on there including Sikaflex. I use this stuff quite a lot and found all brands to be very good. :D
2002 C5 2.0 16v Estate
2001 C5 2.2hdi Hatchback
1998 Xantia 1.9td Estate
falling-out-with-my-car

Its OK people thanks very much Ive gotta hold of something called Tiger Pu adhesive, I went up to the bodyshop who fixed my car last time and bought a couple off of him.

thanks again.

regards Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car

Hi,

Does anyone know what the reaction time is for Tiger Pu Adhesive please?

cant make any sense of the small writing on the tubes and forgot to ask when I bought it.

would be very grateful if anyone knows please, I've got a couple of jobs to do and it would be helpful if I had more than a day before the stuff goes off.

thanks again regards Nigel.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What are you doing with it?

Most of this type (single pack polyurethane sealants) cure by reacting with atmospheric moisture and also require heat to drive the polymerisation. Keep the parts warm and humidity over 50%.

I'd suggest a bead 3/16" thick would cure to reasonable extent in 24 hours at temperatures over 25°C and humidity over 50%. Speed of cure drops rapidly with lower temperatures, and will slow incredibly in dry air.
falling-out-with-my-car

addo,

thanks for that I was trying to guage how long it takes for the tube contents to go off once opened. I wanted to use half a tube one day and the other half the next day.

(replacing an internal panel, so boil a kettle in the boot and then put in a heater of some kind without getting an electric shock in the process). lol

thanks Nigel.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you seal it tightly and keep it cool (note the storage temperatures though and don't bung it in the freezer) it should keep for several days~a couple of weeks.

We use a similar water activated polyurethane adhesive - used to be Sika but changed to Apollo (half the price) and puddles of it left in the machine won't cure if the spray hasn't come into contact with it - makes for an unholy mess the next day when it has to be cleared from the machine prior to the start of work :(
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The tube should only lightly skin overnight; you can wrap the nozzle tip liberally with masking tape to reduce setting further.
falling-out-with-my-car

Thanks again for your help.

my Dad wants to glue in an internal panel in the boot of his car and I want to use a bit of it to glue in the reliant engine mounts I have to make a floating floor for my generator, so we can share the pu adhesive without fear of the tube going off over night.

brilliant.

cheers Nigel.