C5 Rev Counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

guzgog

C5 Rev Counter

Post by guzgog »

Hi all my rev counter only works intermitedly ive been told its probaly the stepper motor ive been in touch with a scrap yard and they will let me have the hole display cluster for £50. Is it possible to swap my speedo over so ive got the origonal milage or is it a no no Cheers Stan
Last edited by guzgog on 10 May 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the milage of the second hand one is lower than yours then it will accept & change to your current milage. If the second hand unit has more miles then your car (well the BSI) will accept the 2nd hand units milage & permanantly write it to your car, this is iriversable by conventional means even if you plug your original unit back in.
guzgog

Post by guzgog »

Thanks for that info wheeler i'll see if i can get mine repaired, Autotex said they can do it for £50 any body here had any dealings with them.

cheers Stan
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

hello, if the motor they are referring to is the small clear plastic one on the back of the clocks it's a simple job to remove the clocks and replace the motor with the one from the breakers yard. it only requires a slim flat screwdriver to go between the clocks and the dash surround to release the unit then unclip the single connector on the back of the clocks, the whole unit can then be taken apart very easily by just unclipping the back cover, from there you can see the little clear plastic motors on speedo and rev counter, pop it off, replace and put it all back in the car.
why oh why did i buy a C5.
guzgog

Post by guzgog »

Thanks everone for the help on the rev counter its now running ok and saved myself about £50, just one thing what should the revs be at tick over i need to know so i can check to see if ive put the needle back on correctly. :D cheers Stan
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

err,did i miss something. you cannot just say it's ok now without a story. how did it become ok. we need details my friend.
guzgog

Post by guzgog »

Ok here are the details removed steppermotor from behind the cluster seperated the steppermotor with a fine flat srewdriver a bit fiddly but it comes apart by slight levering a bit at a time inside there are 2 cogs one is fixed to the centre pin the other one rests at the side, this one had become dislodged and wasnt being driven so replaced to correct position and refitted how it became dislodged i dont no also before refitting there's a spring that fits on top of the cogs it has a arm on it that locates on to the cog. in a nutshell thats about it. ps if it goes wrong again i'll seek out a different steppermotor.
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

the usual problem with the motors is where the offset cog is held in place by a small pin which is part of the casing, the pin snaps off leaving the cog lose. yours may be on the verge of it. the repair if it does happen is to drill the casing and put a piece of a 1.5 mm drill bit in it's place. it's a fiddly job as it has to be exactly in the right place though.