That time of year again.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

That time of year again.

Post by OwenP »

It is soon coming up to the MOT being due on my 406 (51 plate 2.0 HDI 90 estate), and I am wondering where to take it.

My current thinking is Gates Peugeot in Brockenhurst, does anyone have any experience of them?
I'm running out of garages that haven't either screwed up or done sloppy work in the past. Also the car has had pretty much all work done by first owner at this garage.

Secondly the car is approaching 142500 miles and saying it needs a service in 700, does anyone know what this service entails? Will probably get the garage to do the service when/if it passes the MOT.

Lastly, in the 6 months I've had the car I've never been 100% happy with the tyres, they have plenty of tread on them, but I've never felt that they have a lot of grip especially at the front. As I will shortly be back in the black for the first time in several years I'm thinking about splashing out on some new tyres, any recommendations?

Current tyres are Nexen CP641 on the front and Goddyear Eagle NGT 5 on the back, with about 5mm tread left all round

Cheers in advance
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Good luck with the MOT, i woud think most garages should be similar for MOTs as they should all, in theory, do them to the same kind of standard.

I take mine to a main Ford dealer and have never had any problems with them. So you might be ok with a peugeot dealer.

Tyres: Goodyear NCT5s should be reasonable, though they are a dated design now and dont do fantastically well in tests now either.

Our C5 estate has Nexen CP641s, were new on the rear just before we bought the car. Ive just swapped them to the front, as they are now half worn and the old fronts near bald. They are better than what was on the front (admiral, why do people fit such awful tyres!) but not brilliant. Tyres dont seem to last long on the front of the C5, maybe 16-17K miles, but these seem to be wearing quick.

Going to replace the worn out rears with Goodyear Optigrips, and the same for the front in a few months.

Nexens are by far not the worst tyre ive used (anyone heard of Heros? Might as well run on the rims for the grip they give)

What size tyres does your 406 have? Some tyres are anly available in some tyre sizes. I do still like Goodyears, the new Duragrip and Excellence i like. Optigrip is supposed to be very good, though only available in some larger sizes.

Continentals are very good, premium 2s i wouldnt mind trying. Ive had many Premium contact1s which are superb, the grip is fantastic in the wet.

I wouldnt go out of your way to get Michelins, not one of the better tyres for grip in my opinion and ive heard of a good few people having problems with durability. In fact one of mine seems to be coming apart inside, as it just wont balance.

Have a search on the net and see what tyres would suit you, the blackcircles site is always a good place to look for prices and what is available for your car.

You probably have 195/65/15?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Yes they are 195/65/R15s

I've had a set of tyres wear out in about 7k miles before now, told ATS to fit reasonable tyres and they put their own brand on. Only option I had for a garage where I was at the time, won't be using them again)

No the Nexens aren't as bad as the ATS ones, but it is definately the front which seems worse for lack of grip, (obvious really given front wheel drive and steering I suppose)

I think I have been used to a pretty good set on the 405, which had Barum Bravuris (sp?) all round.

Will have a look at that site as well, cheers.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you are just doing the rears at the mow, why not stick the new ones on the front and the old fronts on the rear,
then at least you should be able to get the feel of the new tyres before you buy more of the same,

as it is better to have the best tyres on the front on front wheel drive, as the rears almost just stop the back end draging on the ground,

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Oh, ATS tyres are truely awful. Cant remember their name now but i had a pair on the back of one car i bought a while ago. It was scary at how low speeds the rear end would step out at. In the rain it was almost undrivable at anything other then extremely slow speeds.

195/65/15 is fairly limited for performance/grippy tyres. They are relitively thin tyres for a big car which huge sidewalls too. However our C5 SX has this size and i am nmore than happy with its tyres. It has Goodyear Excellence on the rear (have had them on the front and they are superb) and Goodyear Duragrips on the front.

Out of the two id say the Excellence is slightly better for grip, though i cant fault the Duragrips.

Would have had a set of excellence but when i needed to get fronts on it the tyre place i use only had duragrips.

You can get michelin energy savers fairly cheaply in that size, though i had these on the C5 before the goodyears and found them too soggy, always looked soft and rolled onto the shoulders when cornering.

Which dont you like the most? Your Nexens or ageing Goodyears?

Malcolms idea is a good one, replace your worst pair first and see how you get on with the new tyres on the front. If you dont like them you can always buy something else for the other pair.

I do this, problem is i rarely get a set of 4 all the same. At least if you have the same brand across each axel then its fine. You dont need all 4 to match.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

The Goodyear tyres seem reasonable, don't have any real feeling of the back stepping out, but then it never feels like it has a chance to as the Nexens on the front slide and spin with out too much persuation.

I might just get the fronts changed, the only reason I did all 4 last time was that they all needed doing.

Never been keen on the Michelin Energys, my Ex's "old" C3 had them, and would allow an auto (well technichally sensodrive) to spin its wheels on dry clean road.

I had thought about swapping the tyre front to back, but not sure if I want tyres I don't trust on the back just in case.

Thinking back on it the ATS tyres were Ambassador I think and they were absolutely awful, I was very glad to get shot of them.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Just been fiddling on with the Xm there and remembered what tyres it has. It also has the same size tyres as your 406 and its wearing a pair of Vredestien Sportrac3s. I find these to be superb tyres, excellent grip and have a nice V tread pattern, good for standing water.

Seem to be quiet and wear well too. Around about £115 for the pair a couple of years ago now.

They get very good reviews which is why i got them.

Michelins are not the best i agree, we have energys on the front of our little Seat, grip is reasonable but not excellent. It can wheel spin in the dry too and its only a 1.0 petrol. Mind it did have Dunlops which were almost as bad as the Hero tyres i mentioned above. Dangerous.

Certainly pays to research into tyres and get the best you can.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: That time of year again.

Post by JohnD »

OwenP wrote:It is soon coming up to the MOT being due on my 406 (51 plate 2.0 HDI 90 estate), and I am wondering where to take it.

Lucky you!! I'm taking the third of our four car fleet in for MOT tomorrow morning. I have them all nicely spaced out starting with the Saxo in mid-April. For that I needed to change the cambelt and fit a new rear box. That was the first fast pass with .88 on the smoke. Three weeks later I took the C5. Before the test I fited new front discs and pads and replaced the sidelight bulbs. Another fast pass. Last year the Pug 306 got an advisory for a split outer handbrake cable. I decided to change both - also fitted a new cambelt and two front tyres. The 306 goes in tomorrow. - with fingers crossed Then the Xsara is due end of June.

I take them to a branch of Justmots. Book online six weeks in advance and you get the test for £33. As their name states - the just do MOTs - should the car fail and you bring it away for repair.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, it is a problem having so many cars to MOT, im not as organised as you and its difficult to remomber when each one is due. I keep saying i should put the dates on the callender but never do.

I go to the ford dealer because my local one charges £20 for an MOT, bargain!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

OwenP wrote
"I had thought about swapping the tyre front to back"

i didnt mean just swap fronts for your rears, i meant put the 2 best tyres from all 4 on the rear, then what ever pair you buy new first fit to the front,

Citroenmad wrote
" its difficult to remomber when each one is due"

you could always use the sticker from the MOT certificate and place it on the screen or sun vissor, then you can see at a glance when each one is due,

like i do (not) TEA HE

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm i have tried that, but usually find the writing has faded before the next MOT is due :lol:

Also i hate stickers in the windows :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:OwenP wrote
"I had thought about swapping the tyre front to back"

i didnt mean just swap fronts for your rears, i meant put the 2 best tyres from all 4 on the rear, then what ever pair you buy new first fit to the front,

Citroenmad wrote
" its difficult to remomber when each one is due"

you could always use the sticker from the MOT certificate and place it on the screen or sun vissor, then you can see at a glance when each one is due,

like i do (not) TEA HE

regards malcolm
Ages since I have had a sticker :shock:

Use one of the computer based calenders to remind you - Google and Yahoo have them and they will send you an email at a predetermined period before the crucial date. There is one in my OS and likely one in Windows.
Outlook and Thunderbird both have them, as does Evolution. They are ten a penny (or less)

Or your phone :)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: That time of year again.

Post by JohnD »

JohnD wrote:
The 306 goes in tomorrow. -.
And just back with a new certificate. Advisory on the rear indicators being a bit white and the handbrake being a bit under par. But that's maybe down to the new cables. That's three cars down with one more to go.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Excellent news, always a big relief when your car passes its test.

Ive just sold my little Seat today, which is good news. My cursed C5 is up to its usual tricks, a new issue every other day. It had a problem on Friday, only a small one, the rear view mirror just fell off on its own accord, while i was driving along and not even touching it. Saturday it behaved but again yesterday it found another problem. So if my every-other-day theory stands it shouldn't have any more problems today but i do wonder what wont be working on it tomorrow. Hopefully it will just self combust and i can get something else! :twisted: Im at a loss with what to do with it now, dont want to keep it but i can't really sell it.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Steve wrote
"Ages since I have had a sticker"

if you look at the lower section of your MOT certificate it has a peel ooooof bit with expiery date on it,

Citroenmad wrote
"Hmm i have tried that, but usually find the writing has faded before the next MOT is due"

that was the old hand written stickers they used to use, the peel off sticker from the bottom of the MOT certificate, the details are printed on and usualy last a bit longer,

"Im at a loss with what to do with it now, dont want to keep it but i can't really sell it."

you could always give it to me TEA HE,

regards malcolm