Ropey runnung 406

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rsjon
My Cars:

Ropey runnung 406

Post by rsjon »

I have a 1997 406 with 2.0 petrol engine (the early XU engine) and 114k.
I bought it a couple of years ago with a blown (literally - bits hanging out everywhere!) engine after it ingested water.
I sourced a replacement engine, fitted it, and all was well. It passed an MOT, emissions were fine, and it got pressed into service driving to and from France. Since arriving in France, though, it has developed some running problems. Here are the symptoms:
It always starts fine, hot or cold. It uses far more petrol than it should. It is running very rich (black exhaust). It hesitates during gentle/normal acceleration; it runs better under full power, but possibly is down on power a bit. Sometimes, when accelerating, particularly from rest, the engine appears to 'pop', almost a backfire. Idle is a bit erratic and it stalls occasionally. It is difficult to drive smoothly
I have replaced the map sensor and the engine coolant sensor for the ecu, to no avail. I have checked for air leaks and found none (at present). I have replaced the engine coil pack unit, to no avail. My next check was going to be lambda sensor switching, but I could not during my last visit due to lack of equipment (will try next visit).
Has anybody got ideas?
The fault is not the end of the world, but I can't see it passing its' next mot. Other than this, it is a truly great car.....7 seater estate bought, fixed and mot'd for £280! Even the a/c is cold!

Thank you in advance; I will let you know what I find, though it might be a while!

Jon. :D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi Jon - welcome to forum.

This thread might be of interest..... Xantia petrol running problems

Sounds familiar :lol:
Richard W
rsjon
My Cars:

Post by rsjon »

Thanks for that. I have obtained another fuel pressure regulator from a scrappy and will fit it when I go to France (August).
I will let you know how I get on.

Jon.