206 Clutch Swap & Gearbox/Differential Rattle??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gammy leg
My Cars:

206 Clutch Swap & Gearbox/Differential Rattle??

Post by Gammy leg »

Can anyone provide a link to an online repair manual for a Pug 206, specifically the section for changing a clutch?. Never done a Pug before let alone a 206.
Anything will do, even a copy of Haynes :D

EDIT: I've changed the subject title of this thread to more accurately reflect the bulk of the subject matter contained herein.

Thanks

Gammy
Last edited by Gammy leg on 17 Jul 2010, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-206-Hayne ... 3eff36c563

Quite a few haynes manuals for the 206 on ebay.

What engine/year is yours?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I know, the 206 BoL only covers the early models. Luckily Robyn'sd is a n early one. I don't think it quite gets to 51 platers so beware.

That's the pale blue cover one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Funnily enough I was in Halfords a few days ago trying to buy some Hylomar (they did not sell it anymore, but that did not surprise me) I called in simply as I was going past, anyway they had two 206 manuals as I had a wander around and actually wanted to look at one.

One up to about 2000 ('X' Plate) and one after that.

I'd assume the later ones cover the changes to the system (aka: multiplexed as from 2000 on they were) , the 1.4HDI and other 'new' engines.

So there are definitely two about, rather than one that covers them all.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its a 1.4 they are very easy, i'd even say self explanatry, and fare easyer than a XANT,

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:if its a 1.4 they are very easy, i'd even say self explanatry, and fare easyer than a XANT,

regards malcolm
Off topic: Have you had the 'failure to start' problem with the 1.4 HDi caused by the plastic fuel pipes across the back taking air in ? , I know there was a 'batch' (well, more or less) that had this problem. Effected some Ford's too as they shared that power unit.
Andy.

Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Thanks chaps,

It's a 1.4, 8v petrol 2003. I'm struggling to remember the last clutch that I replaced. I have a feeling that it was a R18 back in the day of in-line gearboxes. From memory I don't recall ever having done a transverse although I'm sure that I changed my BX14 clutch at some point.

Thanks for your help. If I get stuck I'll ask.

Gammy
spider

Post by spider »

I vaguely remember doing one on a DW8 206, I did have a problem with it but that was due to the hydraulics rather than anything else. Cannot recall what the problem was to be honest it was a long time ago. :)

Yours will probably be cable anyway I'd expect, won't be difficult anyway I think, small TU engine and gearbox.

Remember to replace driveshaft oil seals to avoid future leaks, they do not like being re-used, you might get away with it but its worth changing them to be honest as you will have to pull the driveshafts out.

I don't anticipate any other problems, possibly the pinchbolts for the bottom ball joints might break if you are unlucky undoing them, but that's about it really.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gammy,

I'd say a clutch on an 8V TU would be a walk in the park. I've done one on a Paxo and it really was so easy (compared to what I normally work on!!!) and would agree with Andy on the lower swivels. They can be a *(^*( to get apart due to angles...

I'll have a 206 clutch to do sooner or later once Robyn has finished learning on hers!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim wrote
"compared to what I normally work on!!!"

yep them there clutch plate's presure plare's and thrust bearings on those V6 houcamatics, are real BBBBB TEA HE

regards malcolm
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Dim question, but it's been a long time. Do I need to drain the gearbox prior to removal, ie will it leak everywhere when I remove the driveshafts?

Thanks
spider

Post by spider »

It will pour out when you pull a driveshaft out :)

I'd advise draining it first, otherwise you will make a nice mess (as it won't come out the diff housing 'nicely') , plus when you tip the box a bit when its out, more will pour out anyway.

Actually, you will still get a bit of residual oil anyway even if you drain it (watch that if you tip the box over)
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i never drain the box first, i just place a large tray underneath and pop the shafts out,

but it is probably best to drain first then it will gat a full oil change at the same time

regards malcolm
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Thanks Andy & Malcolm. Just picked up new National clutch from Ajays, would have liked a Valeo but current shortage of paid work means that I had to go for the economy option. :)

Gammy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

a customer of mine supplied his own clutch a few years ago, guess what it was a National kit, once fitted to his BX i had take all the adjustment up to the end just to get any clutch at all,

mind you it was a TAXI driver and he never did finnish paying me what he owed,

i did not think GSF charge a huge amount dfor a clutch to fit small engined 206

regards malcolm