Wheel arch liners advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Wheel arch liners advice

Post by Edhertz »

My newly aquired 1999 Xantia exclusive has a full moulded liner in the rear os wheel arch and a small cut away bit of a liner in the ns rear arch. As a result lots of crud has got up into the upper rear box sections and caused significant rusting. Doesn't seem right to me. Should they be both the same or is this a bad design fault? Advice much appreciated.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Design flaw..

Im sure ALL Xantias Ive seen so far have been like this!

So Panic not, just keep her cleared out..

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Seems the MK2 is a lot more susceptible to rust here than the MK1.. This is not the first MK2 to suffer in this way. Not yet seen it on a MK1

My MK1 Activa project appears to have been buried in a saltmine for the past 6 decades but is as solid as a rock in this area...

I agree Paul, yet another silly schoolboy-error design flaw.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I used to see this a lot on some Peugeots too (the plastic liners 'expanding') , especially the rear ones.

Some people used to throw them away, although the other 'common' thing I saw (I did not do this) was to remove it and cut the 'bulge' out and refit it)

I guess the mud builds up, they gradually over time stretch due to that and temperature changes too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Wheel arch liners advice

Post by Edhertz »

Thanks for replies folks. I'll be making up a bit of tinwork to cover up the exposed holes. All this only came to light because I had to remove the rear bumper to fit a tow bar. Glad I did - never had this problem with my BX!
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

I too have the same problem.
At first i thought the main panels were galvanized,or rustproofed,as the bonnet has stone chips to bare metal and hasn't rusted in 12 months,so i thought it was a cheapo repair/pattern panel from an accident etc..but i'm reading more and more series 2 xants seem to be suffering this now :roll:

Going to sort mine out this summer, (do we have summers anymore? ...) as i cut the old rust out,2 big holes,rustproofed it with a product that should turn the metal black,sprayed it with liquid Hammerite,(which in itself is a rust deterrent?),fiberglassed it,and sprayed it some more. Blocked the square opening in the nearside arch.Waxed the nearside quarter.
Thought..that should sort it till summer............

Fekin rusting again!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Poor panels / metal ??????? either way, not happy.

I've taken pics of the offending wing,(mainly 'coz you can get a digital camera inside the wing) to upload to my computer for a clearer view.

here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

I'm going to tackle this soon, and will post pictures of my diy bodywork skills.

Anyone got ANY idea why the series 2 xants rear quarters seem SO rust prone? Cheap batch/shortage of good metal/paint/anti rust proofness (in that era), etc? !!!

:(
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I have also needed to take the rear bumper off recently, and couldn't believe it when I came across this smart idea of leaving a hole to feed all the dirt, and crap into this area, and the rear bumper mounting that gets corroded.

Amazing :? bit of design! :roll: DER !

Given that it's obviously going to cause a problem, and to quote a term to do with the legal profession "learned" as in my "learned friend" seen in court room dramas, and real life.

As the designers are so highly qualified therefore learned, can they please also use some common sense sometimes! :?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.