Need Xantia Eggheads Help to Diagnose Stiff Ride!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seany87
My Cars:

Need Xantia Eggheads Help to Diagnose Stiff Ride!

Post by seany87 »

Hi, I have a 2000 Hdi 90.

Recently I had a leaky pump. This was replaced about 1 month ago by myself from a similar scrapped Xantia, and lo, everything was perfect. For the first time I experienced the magic carpet ride, like driving on glass, I was really chuffed with it.

However, within the last week or so, the ride was reverted to being quite harsh, something akin to when there is a lack of LHM in circulation.

I suspect air in the system but I want to explain some of the symptoms to you in case I have missed anything obvious...

-All corner spheres were replaced about 10k miles ago, Im 75% sure the accumulator was done at the same time.

-Since the pump was replaced there has been no more leak (yay) but I think I have overfilled the reservoir, will this effect the ride? I think also the belt could do with tightening a little as it squeaks.

-If I leave the car overnight the back end will have sunk a bit by the morning but comes up about 15-20 seconds after starting.

-When I put the car on its highest setting the front rises quickly but the back end takes a lot more time and doesnt seem to rise as high as the front...the regulator ticks every other second in this setting, but about once a minute on normal

-Tyre pressures are normal although they are bargain tyres with about 3mm of tread left

-If I sit in the boot with the engine off, the car wont return to normal unless I jump out

I will bleed the system for air this week by doing some serious citerobics, anything else it might be? Im aware accumulator may be duff but cant afford to get it replaced anytime soon.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It does point to the accumulator sphere by my reckoning though I'm an air head, not an egghead, so best get a second opinion. 8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Need Xantia Eggheads Help to Diagnose Stiff Ride!

Post by CitroJim »

We used to have eggheads here but there was an unfortunate incident involving a wall...

Now then, this statement here is the clincher:
seany87 wrote: -If I sit in the boot with the engine off, the car wont return to normal unless I jump out.
Question is, does the sit in the boot test work normally with the engine running?

Makes me think there is a bit of stiffness in the rear height corrector and it takes very little for a bit of stiffness to really interfere with ride quality. Both Height Correctors must be working absolutely perfectly for best ride quality and the ride heights must be correct too.

You need to work on getting the "sit in the boot test" to work shortly after the engine is switched off. Until this test passes, things will never be right on teh ride front.

Was the anti-sink sphere changed? I ask as although it has nothing whatever to do with sinking (it's a rear brake accumulator) I'm of the opinion that it has a small but discernible effect on ride quality if it is flat.

Finally, it is easy to get used to Citroen ride quality and it can seem to have deteriorated. To prove this, go for a ride in any average tin-sprung car and then get back int he Xantia. The mind is a funny old thing....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
seany87
My Cars:

Post by seany87 »

CitroJim wrote:We used to have eggheads here but there was an unfortunate incident involving a wall...

Now then, this statement here is the clincher:
seany87 wrote: -If I sit in the boot with the engine off, the car wont return to normal unless I jump out.
Question is, does the sit in the boot test work normally with the engine running?

Makes me think there is a bit of stiffness in the rear height corrector and it takes very little for a bit of stiffness to really interfere with ride quality. Both Height Correctors must be working absolutely perfectly for best ride quality and the ride heights must be correct too.

You need to work on getting the "sit in the boot test" to work shortly after the engine is switched off. Until this test passes, things will never be right on teh ride front.

Was the anti-sink sphere changed? I ask as although it has nothing whatever to do with sinking (it's a rear brake accumulator) I'm of the opinion that it has a small but discernible effect on ride quality if it is flat.

Finally, it is easy to get used to Citroen ride quality and it can seem to have deteriorated. To prove this, go for a ride in any average tin-sprung car and then get back int he Xantia. The mind is a funny old thing....
All is fine when the engine is running. Slight dip as I sit in boot, then it corrects itself within 15 seconds. Not sure if anti sink was done, most probably not as the previous owner had the car as a workhorse. Im just mystified as to how the suspension could have deteriorated so badly, so quickly. First thing that came to mind was my novice mechanic skills!

Where are the rear height correctors Jim, and how can I unstiffen them?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm in agreement with MikeT. If you're not sure if the main accumulator was done, change it anyway. The failure of the "sit in the boot test" does often point to a flat accumulator.

One thing for sure, it's not a result of your spanner.
seany87 wrote: Where are the rear height correctors Jim, and how can I unstiffen them?
Look under the rear and towrd the middle and the HC will be plain to see. It looks like this:

Here's a working diagram of them:

Spray the area where you see the big springs on the height corrector mechanism with WD-40 and then spray them with some good quality spray grease. A bit of up and down will soon work the grease/WD mix in and free any residual stiffness.

Please support the car very securely on ramps or axle stands before going underneath to play height correctors. The suspension could suddenly collapse and if the car is not adequately supported it could crush and kill you. A golden rule when doing any work on a hydraulic Citroen is to adequately support it even if the work does not involve the suspension. Ignore at your peril.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote:.....though I'm an air head, not an egghead,....
CitroJim wrote:I'm in agreement with MikeT

Rub it in, mate, go on :roll:

:lol: :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:
MikeT wrote:.....though I'm an air head, not an egghead,....
CitroJim wrote:I'm in agreement with MikeT

Rub it in, mate, go on :roll:

:lol: :wink:

:lolsign:

Oh dear Mike. I never made the connection, honestly...
Jim

tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

CitroJim wrote:I'm in agreement with MikeT. If you're not sure if the main accumulator was done, change it anyway. The failure of the "sit in the boot test" does often point to a flat accumulator.

One thing for sure, it's not a result of your spanner.
seany87 wrote: Where are the rear height correctors Jim, and how can I unstiffen them?
Look under the rear and towrd the middle and the HC will be plain to see. It looks like this:

can i ask what the sphere is for located to the right of the height corrector as all my suspension spheres have been changed but i haven't changed the accumalator sphere at the front as it seems in good order ie i get a tick every about every 55 seconds and i haven't changed the centre rear as i wasn't sure how to test it on the car to see if its working ok:oops:

Here's a working diagram of them:

Spray the area where you see the big springs on the height corrector mechanism with WD-40 and then spray them with some good quality spray grease. A bit of up and down will soon work the grease/WD mix in and free any residual stiffness.

Please support the car very securely on ramps or axle stands before going underneath to play height correctors. The suspension could suddenly collapse and if the car is not adequately supported it could crush and kill you. A golden rule when doing any work on a hydraulic Citroen is to adequately support it even if the work does not involve the suspension. Ignore at your peril.
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

tonupteabag wrote: can i ask what the sphere is for located to the right of the height corrector as all my suspension spheres have been changed but i haven't changed the accumalator sphere at the front as it seems in good order ie i get a tick every about every 55 seconds and i haven't changed the centre rear as i wasn't sure how to test it on the car to see if its working ok:oops:
That's another accumulator sphere, responsible for maintaining a pressure reserve for the back brakes, and often misleadingly called the anti-sink sphere. As far as I know there is no way of easily testing it on the car, but if it looks as if it's been there for eons it's worth replacing.

Aside from ensuring the pump isn't getting overloaded the main function of the two accumulators is to provide a reserve of braking power in case of a thrown auxiliary belt or other failure at speed. With flat accumulators on a car with anti sink you lose the brakes pretty much as soon as the engine stops.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Note that the puicture of the height corrector I posted is in fact, on close inspection, upside down.
jonathan_dyane wrote: As far as I know there is no way of easily testing it on the car, but if it looks as if it's been there for eons it's worth replacing.
No, I theorise that the anti-sink sphere could be tested by attempting to bleed the rear brakes just after the engine has stopped. I've not yet put the theory to the test...

For the cost, as you say Johnathan, you're just as well replacing it.
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

seany87 wrote,
"Need Xantia Eggheads Help"

is that hard boiled or scrambled,

i have the latter,

Jim wrote
"Note that the puicture of the height corrector I posted is in fact, on close inspection, upside down. "

what even if you are laying on your back slid under the car Jim TEA HE

regards malcolm
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

thanks guys :) i was curious as it looks like its been on a while well maybe since noah figured out it wasn't raining anymore :shock: i'll look into a price for the rear accumalator sphere any specific tricks to getting it off????
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Our HDi is much the same as this so I'm going to get it up on the ramp and lubricate both of the height correctors tomorrow.

Once these have been done I'm going to change the rest of the spheres.

I did the rear 2 when I got it as it was pitching from minimum to maximum height when we got it. I then did the accumulator to stop the pump ticking.

How many sphere's are on it? I've got 8 in my head but am unsure on these newer cars.

Front Corners (2)
Front Centre (1)
Rear Corners (2)
Rear Centre (1)
Accumulator (1)
Anti Sink (1)

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, eight on an Exclusive David.

You're spot-on in both count and function...
Jim

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

tonupteabag wrote:thanks guys :) i was curious as it looks like its been on a while well maybe since noah figured out it wasn't raining anymore :shock: i'll look into a price for the rear accumalator sphere any specific tricks to getting it off????
It differs from the other spheres in that it screws into a retaining bracket rather than a hydraulic unit, and has a hydraulic pipe fitted to the business end; the first time I did one I unscrewed it as if it were a 'normal' sphere and wrecked the pipe! That's certainly something to be aware of, and it's worth investing in a 8mm brake pipe spanner as a normal open ender will likely round the flare nut.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners