Xantia Turbo 98 wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ruffnroll

Xantia Turbo 98 wont start

Post by ruffnroll »

Fitted new battery, and now the STOP command light remains on after I enter my security code, and she wont turnover. All I get is a clunk when I turn the ignition key, and all the dash lights go out. Help please. :?:
Ruffnroll
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

i supoz you had probs startting before the new battery, if so it might be your starter motor beush's, or a bad conection on the solenoid feed terminal, if the later you will usualy proove this by wiggling the small terminal on the starter solenoid then try startting her,

if this dose not work it could be one of the below,

a bad battery conection, unless your new battery is flat,

what year and modle is your car and were abouts are you

regards malcolm
ruffnroll

Post by ruffnroll »

Xantia Activa Turbo 2Litre 1998. Parked on my drive for 6 months. Running perfect before, but battery had obviously gone flat. Tried jumping it from my other car, and it turned over fine, but wouldn't start, and no problem with STOP warning light. So had the battery charged and tested and advised to replace it. New battery from Halfords; HCB012 as recommended. Will try your ideas. Thanks.
Ruffnroll
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Are the earth connections OK?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Ruff. the STOP light may not be connected with the starting... it may be on because the hydraulic circuit is low on pressure and wont pressurise until she starts.. in fact I think we all get the stop light from ignition till the car has started .. this could be a red herring..

check to see if the fuel primer bulb is squeezable, if it is, squeeze until you cant anymore..
check the fuel filter housing is full of fuel maybe..

undo one of the 4 metal injector pipes where they enter the injectors.. just a few turns to loosen it. get someone else to turn her over and look for a decent amount of fuel coming out..

a new battery.. is that one flat? try jumping her again

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:check to see if the fuel primer bulb is squeezable, if it is, squeeze until you cant anymore..
check the fuel filter housing is full of fuel maybe..
Unless Ruff has an incredibly rare 2.1TD variant, the above is not going to be fully relevant... They normally run on petrol...
jgra1 wrote: a new battery.. is that one flat?
More than likely, judging by the symptoms. Not sure of the shelf-life of a ready charged battery but I'd never stake my life on one being up and raring to go straight out of the shop.

Other than that, I'd say a dodgy battery connection or earth connection to the gearbox.

The crimped battery connectors themselves are known to go high-resistance as well. They give themselves away by running hot.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:shock:

bad nights sleep there :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote::shock:

You're not the only one John. The old NRT patches cause bizarre and vivid dreams.

Last night I drempt someone destroyed the rear end of my V6 :evil: It was incredibly detailed.

Mind you, in another dream last night, again very detailed, I drempt I'd acquired a 6-bay garage complete with tyre changing bay :D

At least I had somewhere to repair my V6... This garage I had to share with a Chinese girl into Honda motorbikes...

Must give up the nicotine patches... :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There's the older style ones you roll up and burn. Saves on weird dreams and expensive pharmaceuticals. :?

Or was it just something in the Earth's orbit? I dreamt some former workshop neighbours were trying to kill me... :shock:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

know what you mean there Jim, I was on them last few weeks :lol:
ruffnroll

Post by ruffnroll »

Hi Guys,

She's a petrol turbo. I took new battery back and got it replaced, brushed and cleaned the earth connections, then bashed the starter moter with a heavy mallet. Voila, she turns over......and she kicks.... but still no action.
Having her taken to Citroen garage tomorrow for a good spanking..... or maybe that's my wallet I'm thinking of. She needs an MOT anyway, so fingers crossed. She 's immaculate and discreet, but when she goes, she really goes. zhwah duh VEEV-ruh.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts on our behalf. Keep your elbows in.
Ruff
Ruffnroll
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

CitroJim wrote:
jgra1 wrote::shock:

You're not the only one John. The old NRT patches cause bizarre and vivid dreams.

Last night I drempt someone destroyed the rear end of my V6 :evil: It was incredibly detailed.

Mind you, in another dream last night, again very detailed, I drempt I'd acquired a 6-bay garage complete with tyre changing bay :D

At least I had somewhere to repair my V6... This garage I had to share with a Chinese girl into Honda motorbikes...

Must give up the nicotine patches... :twisted:
Was she a HOT chinese girl into Honda's, if so give me some patches :lol:

It may me as simple as the fuel had gone off, unleaded doesnt last long these days......

Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

h2ocooler wrote:Was she a HOT chinese girl into Honda's, if so give me some patches :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I was disappointed she was not into old Suzukis or Kawasakis actually Rob. I used to adore two-stroke triples back in my youth... Never really much of a fan of four stroke bikes, especially Honda with their camshafts made of cheese...

You don't want patches Rob, they're worse than smoking :twisted: and play havoc with your skin :twisted: Still, better than the fags I guess... Well yes, no guess about it. It's a no-brainer really..

h2ocooler wrote: It may me as simple as the fuel had gone off, unleaded doesnt last long these days......
Yes, indeed very possible. Nothing much stops an Activa engine from starting usually. Generally they're very eager to spark up into life, even after a long rest.

Normally, stale pertrol is never a problem as it never stays around long enough in an Activa to get stale!!!!

Stale petrol has a distinctive unpleasant smell about it, a bit of a rancid sort of smell..
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you found it cranked over after bashing the starter, your brush's are worn down and or stuck/sticking,

if they are not making a very good contact, this will draw to much curent, and maybe not leave enough fot the electronics (ignition and injecrion system/s),

if its cranking over fast and still not startting, have you tried pressing the shut of colision shut off relay button

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I always charge a brand new battery for at least three days it helps to build capacity (amps) regardless of voltage. it may improve the ability of the battery to turn the starter motor. also if it is a serviceable battery did you check the fluid levels with a torch shone down inside the compartments, the fluid level can also affect capacity if it is to low. I usually find that most new batteries need topping up a bit with distilled water, sometimes manufacturers can skimp on the amount of acid they put in their batteries or sometimes even one cell could be dry. its worth checking this out, if it is a serviceable battery. (dont smoke over an open battery).

I'm not sure if the starters on petrol xantias are constantly engaged or have a throw out mechanism, the old throw out mechanism could be lubricated with soft pencil lead, people made the mistake of oiling these with spray oil and that made them pick up dirt and seize.
if its constantly engaged with the flywheel its probably an earthing fault or the solanoid is sticking, hitting it usually frees up the solanoid but this can go on for months if it keeps sticking best to replace the whole unit.

it does sound to me as if you need to disconnect the starter motor leads and clean the contacts and try again six months of standing on a driveway probably means it was standing in all that damp freezing snowey weather. a great breeding ground for corrosion. on the other hand if your going to disconnect it you might as well visit a local scrappy and get another starter unit.

buy a battery charger and charge the battery at least once a year over night longer if you can, it helps to keep it in good condition, I charge mine 12 hours twice a year just before winter because the lights are used a lot more in the winter and short runs in the dark with the lights on kill off the battery. and again in the spring. Aldi do some good conditionning electronic chargers that can be left on to trickle charge the battery slowley after a higher amp initial charge. for about £12.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.