Coolant Leak on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Coolant Leak on ZX

Post by the_weaver »

Hi folks

My ZX 1.9D hardly ever needs the water topping up but this time it took more than usual, so I had a look for any leaks and I can see that it's dripping coolant.

The coolant seems to be dripping from the place where the bottom hose from the radiator goes into the back of the engine. It's on the offside of the engine bay about two inches above the metal can of the offside inner driveshaft gaiter. The hose fits onto what looks like a plastic 90 degree elbow fitting which is bolted to the engine. The dripping I can see appears to be coming from the mounting bolt of the elbow connector (it's not loose). However it could be coming from higher up and just dripping off at the lowest point. Access is very bad and I can't really see anything there properly.

I'm wondering what to do about this now. Access is very poor and it's going to be a difficult job to unbolt the elbow connector from the back of the engine. I don't know for sure that this is the part that's leaking. Is there a core plug above this that might be the real cause of the leak? If I do manage to disconnect the elbow connector is there a gasket there that I can change to cure the leak? Can I buy an elbow connector or do I have to buy a complete bottom hose?

I read the Haynes manual and I can't find anything describing the engine side of the bottom hose. It does mention the radiator side of the bottom hose and it seems to be some sort of push and turn connector with an 'O' ring which you have to replace each time. Sounds a bit complicated. Last time I did a radiator hose it was just held on with a jubilee clip. Are the bottom hoses available from motor factors or is it a Citroen main dealer only item?

Thanks

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on the top side of the water branch/elbow there is uaualy 1 or 2 rubber blanking caps, i have seen these perish and split,

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks Malcolm, I'll check the blanking caps if I can get to them.

I notice that gsfcarparts are selling the following:-

179PC0010 WATER HOUSING ZX D/TD (BACK OF ENGINE) 8.85

Sounds interesting. I wonder if this is what I want?

Does it come with a gasket/sealing ring I wonder?

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive that is the water branch you might need, these do also go brittol and crack, but try the simple bits first (blancking caps)

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Malcolm

I can't see the blanking caps. There's too much other stuff in the way. The access is so limited I'm going to leave it to a garage I think.

I'll buy a water housing but I also need a ring-seal. I've seen a few people selling the ring-seal for the turbo-diesel but my car is a non-turbo diesel and I think the part number I want is 1339 97. I'll check with gsfcarparts tomorrow.

There's a post on peugeotcentral.co.uk where somebody is describing exactly the same water leak onto the same place on the driveshaft as my leak but on a Peugeot 205. He fixed it by changing the water housing. So it looks like it's a fairly common problem.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

gsfcarparts don't sell the ring-seal so I've ordered the housing and ring-seal from the main dealers instead.

What percentage anti-freeze mixture is everybody using these days? I thought I'd ask the question as I was a bit worried by the recent cold weather. My anti-freeze was put in by a garage last time so I don't know what percentage they used. I'm going to specify what percentage I want this time but I'm wondering what to specify.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I've now got the water housing and two possible sealing rings. I'm wondering whether I should fit the sealing ring as originally fitted on the car or the latest version.

I reckon Citroen must have had some problems with leaks on these water housings because the sealing ring started off as a simple 'O' ring (diameter 42 x 2 mm) then changed to a gasket, then changed to a simple but thicker 'O' ring (diameter 42 x 3 mm), then finally to a more complicated 'O' ring with flat faces with two sealing lips on each face.

The 'O' ring originally fitted to my car is Citroen part number 133997 (O ring diameter 42 x 3 mm).

The latest version is Citroen part number 134028 (double lipped design).

I can find quite a few people selling the 134028 version, but nobody other than main dealers sell the 133997 version.

I'm confused. Does anybody know the history of these leaking water housings and whether I should use the latest seal or not?

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always thought these plestic water branch's leak because they become britol with heat and age then crack/split,

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Malcolm

The new housing I've bought appears to be made from aluminium, painted black. I'm not sure whether the one on the car is plastic or aluminium as I can't get close enough to touch it.

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok some were alli and some were like bakerlight type plastic,

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Replacing plastic with aluminium sounds like a good idea to me. I can see why they did it.

Paul