Xantia suspension & Brake problem - advice plz

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Miker G

Xantia suspension & Brake problem - advice plz

Post by Miker G »

Hello all, I have recently bought a P reg Xantia 1.9td and have found it generally to be a great car. The only annoying problem I have with it is that the suspension is too bouncy, when I go over speed bumps the car gives more one bounce than it should and when driving at speed the bounce can be quite alarming, it's like driving a boat.

Is this bounce to be expected from this type of suspension or do the spheres or some other part need replacing? when I move the height lever in the car it rises and falls without any problems.

Also, the brakes, when I break hard they seem to slacken and then tighten but with me keeping the same pressure on the pedal, is this related as I've read they share the fluid system.

Thanks all and hello to all, 1st time french car owner here.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Miker :D

You have a classic case of flat spheres and entrained air in the brake dead-ends... In fact one or more spheres may be ruptured leading to nitrogen gas escaping into the hydraulic circuits.

Replace your spheres, flush and refill with LHM and bleed your brakes and I reckon all will come good.

Do check the health of your accumulator sphere by listening for the frequency of ticks from the pressure regulator or carry out the "sit in the boot" test.

This thread will guide you through sphere replacement

Please observe carefully the safety warnings. One area of H and S we are all fanatical about here!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Miker G

Post by Miker G »

Thank you very much Jim, I appreciate your help.

I think I'll ask a local garage to quote for the work based on your advice as I don't have a removal tool or stands.

Could you help me a little further plz.
Looking at this site for parts:
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/index.asp

What part numbers & mulitples do I need for all the spheres?
Would it be better to buy the LHM locally and is there anything I should look for when buying that?

Thanks very much
Miker G

Post by Miker G »

ah it's ok about the LHM I see halfords sell it for a tenner!
I'm just naive to the subject, ta
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

can you state what exact modle your car is and dose it have ABS

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.
dont pay a tenner for the citro blood as im sure GSF dont charge as much per litre, and they sell the proper TOTAL LHM

regards malcolm
Miker G

Post by Miker G »

Hi malcolm, thanks for your tips.

I live in Stoke and I have Xantia LX TD, first registered 03/1997
I don't know if it has ABS, I think so, maybe you can tell me, aren't they standard on this car?

thanks
Miker G

Post by Miker G »

I've been reading some of the other threads and I see that some people on here offer to assist in the changing of these bits, as i say I live in stoke so there are a lot of places I can get to easily. I would happily drive up to about 40/45 mins away to get to someones house for them to help me and of course I would be very appreciative of their help.
Thanks all.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Member "Dave Withington" isn't far from you, it seems. I believe he has the official sphere removal tool.
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Indeed I have. Message me Mikerg, sphere changing is quite easy.
Miker G

Post by Miker G »

done. thanks all