Clutch cable snapped.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Clutch cable snapped.

Post by davewithington »

Driving along through Stoke this afternoon, change down for traffic lights and bang - clutch cable goes. Drove back home avoiding traffic wherever possible, clutchless changes up and down, starting in gear, usual thing, we've all done it, found when I looked that the cable had actually snapped just before the pedal. I'm sure that isn't repairable.

Just ordered a new cable and clip, might as well change both while I'm doing the job.

One question. Do you have to take the pedal off to do the change, as pivot bolt was inserted from the brake pedal side, and looks as if I would have to remove the brake pedal to get the bolt out. My Haynes manual says that the just removing the clip will enable the cable to be changeed, mind you it also advises removing the dash to "provide adequate clearance".

Not doing that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, clutch pedal has to come off, which means removing its pivot bolt. You'll either be lucky and find the nut on the "easy" side or on the "wrong" side if you get my meaning...

It can be done even then with a bit of lateral thinking.

No need to remove dash.. Lie upside down in the footwell with ratchet spanners, a torch, Blutak and a good supply of PERCYWATSIT and you'll be fine. An assistant is useful...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Without having seen these, I'm going to assume they are similar to the 405 clutch clip ? (no reason to ask other than furthering my knowledge) :)

My first one took me about 2 hours . :o , although I ended up doing so many of them I had it down to about 20 minutes typically.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:Without having seen these, I'm going to assume they are similar to the 405 clutch clip ? (no reason to ask other than furthering my knowledge) :)
If the 405 clip is like the 205 one then no, the Xantia one is different Andy!!!

The 2045 clip is an absolute walk in the park in comparison.

The clip is not part of the cable. The cable end is a bullet that clips into the clip and then the clip hooks into and is pinned to the clutch pedal.

This is the clip..

And this is the pedal mechanism...

The problem comes from the placement of the pedal pivot bolt nut. Sometimes it's hard against the brake pedal box and cannot be easily removed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Is that something to do with it being a LHD design originally Jim?

If the bolt is hard up against something how do you get it out?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Your meant to remove the Brake pedal First!! They reverse assembled them in factory!

Then when someone has been there before you can cleverly assemble it in the opposite way, and guide the nut between the brake pedal and clutch pedal, and put the bolt through..

Its a sod of a job, you need to be quite lexible - litterally!!

I think all my customers have had all theirs done now, so I shouldn't need to be dooing one again for some time!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Info on the job here

Only had to do it once, that was enough :lol: but the toughest part was cutting the bolt, so if you can manage without, it will be much easier. Interestingly, Jim's diagram shows the bolt in the 'right' way around :?
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:If the 405 clip is like the 205 one then no, the Xantia one is different Andy!!!

The 2045 clip is an absolute walk in the park in comparison.

The clip is not part of the cable. The cable end is a bullet that clips into the clip and then the clip hooks into and is pinned to the clutch pedal.
Ah. No it's not like the 205, its a separate plastic part joining the pedal and the cable, it looks similar to the Xantia one you posted a picture of and described actually. Unbolt pedal shaft etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Dave.

The clip aint to bad a job, I can do them now quite quick, although I have done quite a lot of them!!

You can get the bolt out if you remove the brake light wire connection from the brake pedal, then push it right up as if you are trying to force it out through the speedo!!

Then the bolt will come out as long as one of the flats is in line with the brake pedal.

You will also need a maglite torch to stick between your teeth whilst you hands are busy with the spanners, this also helps to muffle the swearing and stop it being heard next door.

Put it back the other way round.

Jim.....

The clips that I have in stock, all have the metal clip on them. Do they not come complete any more ??
Regards
Martin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I do enjoy the supplementary function of the Maglite Martin :lol: Indeed the job can get a tad verbal on occasion....
Pleiades wrote:Jim.....

The clips that I have in stock, all have the metal clip on them. Do they not come complete any more ??
Regards
Martin.
There was a time when some from GSF came without the metal clip. That was one such... I believe GSF stock now has the metal clip included

Those lacking the metal clip are useless really as when the plastic bit breaks the metal bit gets bent all-shapes and beyond reuse...
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Glady I have retired from clip replacement now I have my S2 110 !!
Did 3 or 4 on S1's and it is one the most undesirable jobs on any car I have ever worked on !! I would even rather do a clutch change on a Mitsubishi Evo !!
After the 1st one I always cut the bolt head off with a an air hacksaw , then replaced with a new bolt from the other side. Of course I never had the benefit of this , it would be the subsequent owner / owners !
There is a job on my S2 that I'm not looking forward to though , the oil temp/level sensorneeds replacing and it looks like the exhaust manifold needs removing !! Who in Citroen is responsible for such STUPID design ??!!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Aaaaaaaaagh!

Read Dave's post last night, little realising that I was to be afflicted with same problem this morning!

Got home just like Dave, reading the road a long way ahead, and selecting a route with roundabouts, and least number of T junctions & traffic lights, to minimise stops. Used 1st & 2nd gears.

Replacement items awaited courtesy of GSF (thanks Vince). The failed item wasn't the cable or the plastic clip, but the metal clip that slides into the plastic clip - half of one of the metal sides that locates the end of the cable had broken off and disappeared. In the last few days, I had felt just a very slight "click" from the pedal as one gently applied first pressure, and I wish I'd investigated immediately - so be warned!

Problem was probably exaccerbated by being a heavy clutch (Valeo), even when first fitted (which was to try and replace the car's original heavy clutch).
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

shhhhhhh :wink:

Don't post too loudly about this problem or all the 1.9TDs in the country will be going down with it.....

I really do wonder if all of us sitting here smug with our hydraulic clutches and torque converters are really better off without the clip. If we get problems it's BIG aggro, much moreso than a mere clutch clip...
Jim

davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Changed the cable this afternoon, new cable came in the post this morning from an eBay seller, reasonable I thought at £11.

What a b**tard of a job the first time you do it. Took me several albeit leisurely hours, but probably do it in under an hour if there is a next time. Didn't take the pedal off, didn't feel like it today. The worst bit was deciding just where the pedal end of the cable went through the bulkhead.

Lovely light and smooth action now, but what a weird method of cable adjustment! I'm used to just taking the slack out and easing of a turn, not measuring the pedal travel. Still, learn something new every day - keeps the brain young, and as I got my bus pass a couple of weeks ago - it was free, so I'm having it - I need the brain exercise.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

I'm not sure which is the worse job, changing the cable or the clip assembly. This design was indeed a development of the one used on the 405. Seems a mental decision as they were always breaking. (still got one in my van) Unfortunately Citroen decided that they could cure the problem by pinning them to the pedal, thereby making an akward job twice as bad. There's no need to cut off the pivot bolt. Lift up the brake pedal and remove the plastic plunger from under the pedal. With the aid of a sturdy bar you can now push the pedal low enough to wriggle the bolt out of the clutch pedal. Obviously the bolt goes back in the other way round!