Anyone Recognise This Xantia Towbar?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

I've been offered this Towbar for my Xantia - however they don't know the manufacturer as it has been off the car for a while. Just wondered if anyone might recognise who it might be?

Thanks!

Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

I cant help you with the maker but it looks similar to the bar fitted to my Xantia - I'm not overkeen on the fixing to the boot floor as its fairly flimsey at that point and the center bar also stops the spare from sitting fully up in its cradle leaving it visible below the bumper. I've not towed anything bigger than a dinghy trailer so can't comment much further HTH

Regards

Richard
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would say that aint a XANT tow bar at all, unless that centre fixing bolts to the spare wheel,

all the XANT bars i have seen the main fixing points are at each side, and smaller fixings on the back panle

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep,

I'd agree Malcolm. There'd be no room for the spare wheel.

The nearest I've seen to a towbar like that was on a Volvo 340!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

That is definitely the same as on my Xantia. The previous owner towed his caravan for several years with it without any problems. I don't use it, but haven't got around to removing it yet.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Hi there,
Looks like the one currently on e bay. I was after a tow bar for my exclusive but turned away from this in the end and won another. I suggest you go to the 'Towsure' site and look at part No CT265e and compare. Oh and by the way ..... Good luck!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Towbar looks identical to my towbar, manufactured by Towsure. The central tube runs above the spare wheel carrier. I had to bend/distort the spare wheel carrier a little, and it's certainly more difficult to drop the carrier down and get the spare out. Wasn't such a problem with the old rather worn spare, but the deeper tread on the present spare makes it more difficult
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
This is a Towsure bar for all Xantia Hatches.. Sturdy, easy to fit. The big bolt that holds up rear suspension passes through it, with tubular spacer.
This is the same type that I offered you, Jim. Not got around to weighing it for postal charges.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Take a look at this one.

It's a detachable.

So one can have the subtle look, if the swan neck detachable part is removed.

Even with the swan neck in place it looks good, and not like a lump of steel slung on the back end.

It also leaves the spare wheel free to operate on its carrier as Citroen designed it, because it does not obstruct it at all.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

the bar (earlier in the post) looks very different to mine which i fitted a year ago- which has a Citroen ID plate on, stamped Xantia... I will try and take a pic tomorrow sometime if it helps..

John
XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

Thanks for all the replies :)

I see that the centre bar could indeed interfere with the seating of the spare wheel and its cage.

Well as it happens i just found a Witter Towbar with dual electrics at my local scrap yard for 20 quid! Just got to get it off...

Looks like it has a spacer between the bar at the ball fixing which avoids the need to cut into the bumper which I prefer.

Got to get the boot of the scrap car open too as it's locked and the yard don't have the keys!

Sad to see so many Xantias in the scrap yards these days :cry:
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

The Towsure towbar does not interfere with the spare wheel at all. I have had 3 of them. No different removing spare wheel with the Towsure bar than it is with the Witter that is fitted to this S reg Xantia I have now. I would never have paid out the extra just for a name.
With a swan neck, I don't think you can adjust the ride height like you can with Towsure and other normal bars--ie; just put a proper dropper plate on.

Towsure £104. Witter £165. Just a posher name.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re: Anyone Recognise This Xantia Towbar?

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Gregg1100 wrote:The Towsure towbar does not interfere with the spare wheel at all. I have had 3 of them. No different removing spare wheel with the Towsure bar than it is with the Witter that is fitted to this S reg Xantia I have now. I would never have paid out the extra just for a name.
With a swan neck, I don't think you can adjust the ride height like you can with Towsure and other normal bars--ie; just put a proper dropper plate on.

Towsure £104. Witter £165. Just a posher name.
Greg
OK point taken about the dropper plate, but as the Xantia compensates for the load in the car, are they really needed?

If the trailer being towed, requires a dropper plate on the car then surely it is at the wrong height not the car, and to connect we can lower the car to allow easy coupling.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Witter towbars are much sturdier than towsure (well, at least they used to be) hence the price differential. Towsure used to have small print at the bottom of the catalogue saying that the max load should be reduced for twin axle trailers. If you're only towing small trailers Towsure OK, if you're going for >1te of Caravan or something, then I would go Witter. The Witter Xantia Hatch bar has a 2" box section main cross member, and looks a lot sturdier than the Towsure one above!
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

For a PROPER Real Citroen Tow bar, ALL the fixing holes are already present on the car chassis!

I am talking about the ones that fit round the rear chassis and I would prefer if fitting one, much more secure IMHO

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto