1995 xantia fuel filter housing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonupteabag
My Cars:

1995 xantia fuel filter housing

Post by tonupteabag »

on the fuel filter housing there is what appears to be a pressure type valve as you look under the bonnet at the filter housing its on the left hand side near where the fuel pipe feeds the filter housing its white and is only accessible with the housing off what the hell is it for as mine developed a tendency to leak i've managed to fix it but what is it for???
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I could be wrong here not having one (actually I've never owned a car that's had this filter type, shocking I know) , its the wax stat control for the fuel heater (how much warmth to allow) as the whole unit is effectively heated as its sat on top of the thermostat housing.

Could be wrong, sorry...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

hi andy
its above the fast idle control its actually fitted in the fuel filter housing if you remove the filter housing its situated on the fuel feed side
honda cb900 x3
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I know what you meant ;)

Its a white screw type thing in the side of the housing. :) (I did not mean the wax stat fast idle if it has one)

I'm sure its to keep fuel out of the lower end of the fuel chamber above a certain temperature (as derv only needs heating a bit really, although I do not think it would be able to get it too hot anyway, my home made heater does not)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

ahhh right i get what you mean its was just starting to leak and i wasn't sure if it could be removed but as i have managed to effect a decent repair (i hope) the o'ring had gone hard on the outer end of the valve so i have replaced that and luckily it hasn't leaked since so hopefully its ok :wink:
honda cb900 x3
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

spider wrote:I could be wrong here not having one (actually I've never owned a car that's had this filter type, shocking I know) , its the wax stat control for the fuel heater (how much warmth to allow) as the whole unit is effectively heated as its sat on top of the thermostat housing.

Could be wrong, sorry...

You're quite right, it's the fuel heater stat, oftern blocked off by the veg boys so the fuel is prmenantly going through the heater.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;