Newbie with Xantia probs.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jacobite47
My Cars:

Newbie with Xantia probs.

Post by Jacobite47 »

Firstly, hi guys, i'm new to the Citroen way of life but starting to get used to it and enjoying it!!

Basically, just bought a Citroen Xantia Estate 2.0 Forte.

Firstly, heater doesn't work, motor has been tested on 12v and is fine. Unsure where to go from here.....

Secondly and maybe stupidly, tried to check my coolant level and came across a black plastic header tank with no Max or Min that i can find. Dare i ask it...how do i check it?

Thirdly, i've just aquired an exterior door trim (the one that runs the length of the door) but am short of about 6 studs to fit it. Local Citroen dealer can't help...if anyone is breaking, can they help?

Lastly, thanks guys for any info to help this poor newbie out.
Body of Adonis...err...i mean Doughnut...!!!
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: Newbie with Xantia probs.

Post by DHallworth »

Jacobite47 wrote:
Firstly, heater doesn't work, motor has been tested on 12v and is fine. Unsure where to go from here.....
I'm having this problem and it's proving to be nothing short of a pain in the tits!

This thread might help you:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=30293

David
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Secondly and maybe stupidly, tried to check my coolant level and came across a black plastic header tank with no Max or Min that i can find. Dare i ask it...how do i check it?
If you remove the cap there should be a funnel shaped insert/strainer with Min/Max levels indicated on it.

Welcome to the forums Jacobite47 :)
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Jacobite47 wrote: Thirdly, i've just aquired an exterior door trim (the one that runs the length of the door) but am short of about 6 studs to fit it. Local Citroen dealer can't help...if anyone is breaking, can they help?
Just bought 10 myself on ebay for £1.99... if you have no luck getting them you can have my 8 spare ones as I only needed 2.

Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

or you could just stick it on with some silicone sealant, have some white spirit handy to clean up any overspill round the edges.

it worked for me.

secondly the plastic header tank when viewed with the cap off from the drivers side wing should have a slott down the internal neck of the bottle, on the engine side, your coolant needs to be roughly half way up this slot when the engine is cold. if the coolant is consistantly dropping have a look at the bottom of the radiator particularly on the passenger side, they seem to like springing a leak in this area. there may be some green chalky stuff as a tell tale marker at the bottom of the rad.

topping up LHM. did you raise the height of the car to top notch (lever fully to the rear of the car) and align the orange disk between the two orange circles as you topped it up? being careful not to overfill the resoviour.

my estate does looks a little high at the front, but it doesnt make the ride hard at the front end.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Welcome to our troubles, Jacobite ! :twisted:

The coolant level on my Xantia used to always return to the bottom of the slot.
Adding coolant was only good for one trip; it used to squirt it out to always settle at the bottom mark.
If the insert has been thrown away, a level about 10 cm from the top will do.
The header tank is referred to as expansion tank, so any level of fluid in it will do.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
geoffb1968

Heater problem

Post by geoffb1968 »

Hi Jacobite, I am new here to but I have had the same problem with the heater.

There is a modification that can be done which assumes that the wiring needs a relay inserted in it. I spent quite some time doing this modification only to find the problem still occured! Very frustrating.

I have only resolved the problem by getting the fan out (quite a simple operation) and checking the main wiring loom for corrosion or burning through. Mine was very brown in colour because of the being fankly not up to the job. I periodically take the fan out and using a wire brush and abrasives, throroughly clean all the metal contacts on the loom (wiring connector) and anywhere else I can find. This gets it going for a while until corrosion builds again. Never found a complete answer short of re-wiring with better cable but I'm not going to that trouble frankly.

Hope this helps.