to buy or not to buy???

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kvic

to buy or not to buy???

Post by kvic »

Hi ,I currently own a citroen c5 2002 but have been looking at buying a smaller car. I came across this on ebay which states it has been a cat c. Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts aout it. ie how much would you pay or if youd stay well clear. Youre help would be appreciated as im supposed to be going to view it on wednesday. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Hope ive got that link right :lol: :lol:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well the 1.4HDi is usually a good engine, the 8v is the more reliable. 16v often have injector/ECU issues, so the 70bhp is the one to have.

Cheap tax and economy is very appealing with those. Economy is also excellent. Make sure you hyave a good sit in it and fiddle, see if you can get comfy. I found my 206 a bit tight in the footwell.

It really wants to be very cheap, its described as a little tatty looking and id be slightly worried about the quality of the repairs, especially given that there is red paint showing on the rear. It being a CAT C with a possible poor repair would be a concern, so thats something to look at very closely. Obviously had structural damage, so long as its repaired correctly, all of the relevant safety measures replaced etc. Seat belt pretentioners etc. There are some very iffy repairs works on cars, it may be fine but do your research about what to check on damaged repaired cars.

Im not sure if id buy a CAT C, however you probably wont find a 1.4HDi cheaper, and i suspect that will go cheap.

Cambelts are 100K miles, though earlier the better. It might have been done but if not its something you will need to budget in your costings.

£900 - 1000 tops for me, i wouldnt go above that. A few hundred more will get you a straight car, though with slightly higher miles.

206s are good cars, i enjoyed mine, bit cramped inside though, but they drive well.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Citroenmad mostly, but i have seen cars recorded as CAT C that have only had door and ignition lock damage,

so i dont think all CAT C cars have had structural damage,

but still look very closely inside, outside and underneath, espacialy were it looks like there has been repaire work,

but all that said it seems very very cheap at the mow

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I agree Malcolm, i too have seen slight damaged cars recorded as CAT C, however when i think about it they have been older cars. Im almost sure if the 206 had been slightly damaged it would have been CAT D. Saying that ive seen cars very badly damaged recorded as a D. So long as its had a good repair it should be fine, and a very cheap car.

Im probably imagining it or its parked on a slight hill, but the rear wheels look a little forward in the pictures. Probably just how they look however. Best thing to do is check tyre wear, check door shuts, boot floor etc. Looks as though its been a rear end bump going by the bumper, but as the seller which end the damage was and have a very good look at the structure. You might even want to remove the spare wheel and have a better look at the floor under the rear - if its been a rear accident.

Some very iffy cars out there, so be careful what you buy.

I was following a 52plate Mondeo a few weeks back on a motorway, ive never seen a car crabbing as much as that one. I could clearly see the whole of the drivers mirror, the passenger mirror was out of sight. Really bad, looked a tidy car but it did spring to mind how careful you have to be when getting another car.

Its possibly going to be the cheapest way to get into a cheap to run car, by that i mean £30 a year road tax, 60MPG and low insurance.

However ive just bought a car with the above, and im selling it as i cant live with a small car with no spec and high noise levels after having the C5.

Good luck with it.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
kvic

Post by kvic »

Im very impressed citroenmad , been in touch with the seller today and it was rear end damage. He wants 1000 for it so im goin to have a look at it tomorrow. The paint work isnt much of a concern as my friends husband sprays cars for a living. Thanks for the replys , I have vehicle checked the car today, the accident was in 2006, and im gonna have a good look at it . Diesel cars seem to be selling for a fortune lately, but my petrol c5 is too big for me and will be getting sold once I buy a new car. If anyones interested its going cheap :lol: :lol:
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

:lol: I have an eye for thing slike that. Seems reasonable for that kind of car, so long as its been repaired to a decent standard.

Good cars the 206, id says its one of the better small cars. Does this one have air con? Always nice to have that, especially in a black car. LX i think should have it, seen as though it doesnt have the sunroof.

Good luck with it. :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
gollum

Post by gollum »

I would never trade in a C5 for a 206. Nevertheless, the 206 is a nice car, but the C5 is just better, more comfortable and roomier. Anyway, let us know what you eventually decided.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

gollum wrote:I would never trade in a C5 for a 206. Nevertheless, the 206 is a nice car, but the C5 is just better, more comfortable and roomier. Anyway, let us know what you eventually decided.
Replace C5 with Xantia and I quite agree. I love the 206 to bits and rate it highly but it'll never replace the C5/Xantia.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Speaking as someone who went from a C5 to a 206 i can agree, its not an easy thing to do. My 206 was a 2.0HDi 90 LX, quite well spec'd with ac, trip computer, auto lights/wipers etc but it just was in a much lower legue. Can only be expected when you go down in car size though.

Ive since gone from the 206 back to a C5, and im pretty happy with it. Im thinking of changing again, but only to a newer shape C5.

Once you get used to big car comforts, especially Citroens, its hard to go back to anything else.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:Once you get used to big car comforts, especially Citroens, its hard to go back to anything else.
Absolutely spot on Chris :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...