Xantia front height at max - won't drop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

armitage_s
My Cars:

Xantia front height at max - won't drop

Post by armitage_s »

Hi, took my Xantia estate for MOT, now front permanently at highest setting. I have never touched ride height lever so presumably when
MOT guy changed it , something with linkeage to front height corrector broke. I only have axle stands and a jack, even if I crawl under and identify a problem , will I be able to get enough room to change whatever is broke? It looks pretty crowded under there.
I know nothing
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Either front corrector has seized (doesn't often happen as they get sprayed and splattered with oil from the engine leaks over the years) or the white plastic dogbone on the height corrector linkage has popped off/broken.

Get the front of the car on axle stands by the front jacking points.
You probably want them on at least their second hole up.
Once secure, set the car on low.
The back will drop and tilt the car up at the front giving you plenty of space to work under it.
The front height corrector is burried up in the subframe behind the engine, find the metal manual height adjuster rod and follow it foward if you're having trouble seeing it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Be very careful crawling around under the car especially when working on the suspension system - it can drop like a brick and squish you terminally.

Do make sure that it is solidly held on axle stands.

What is most likely to have happened is that a plastic linkage on the ride height corrector has detached itself, may be broken or the cup it sits in could be broken or corroded. They cost a couple of quid from the dealer.

If you do a bit of a search on the forum you will see that it is a very common problem, usually the result of neglect.

Welcome to the forum :)

damnit! beaten to the draw yet again :(
armitage_s
My Cars:

Post by armitage_s »

Thanks Men. I'll have a go. :D
I know nothing
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Unlikely to be the Height corrector and more so CORRECTLY The Linkages that control the height corrector!

Its RARELY the height corrector itself, its an internal unit, lubricated by LHM, but the setup has two llever arms one from the Anti roll bar Clamp, the other to the Lever in the car, and these Sieze up quite frequently, useually the rear, but now and again the front certainly if you have no oil leaks..

Get the car up on decent ramps, you;ll need ramps and the weight of the car on the ramps so any adjustments you make you'll see the result..

BE SURE THE RAMPS ARE HIGH ENOUGH SO IF THE SUSPENSION LOWERS YOU ARE SAFE!!!!

You may need to remove the Lever unit - dont worry you can remove them and leave the Height corrector in place, and free up the levers off the car, they can take some releasing, or use a damm good release agent and do a lot of wiggleing with a pair of pliers are screw driver

Regards
Paul
Last edited by citroenxm on 12 Apr 2010, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto