Insurers want copy of Log Book or else!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Insurers want copy of Log Book or else!

Post by MikeT »

Anyone heard of this situation before?

Esure have written to me (signed for) saying the underwriters are asking for a copy of my log book to prove the correct owner of my Xantia.

This has set off alarm bells as it's not something I've ever been asked before - why are they doubting?

What's worse is they're threatening to put me on a Decline list if I don't!
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Never heard of that before :shock:
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

i've not heard of that either have you bought it recently? if so did it have a logbook or have you applied for one? the only reason i can think of is its been registered twice and one of the "owners" hasn't declared they no longer own the vehicle its the only thing i can assume
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Providing the address you are sending it to is a genuine esure address I don't think there is any problem sending them a copy.

I've never heard of an insurance company asking for a copy of a log book but there's always a first.

Could be many reasons it has flagged up, maybe someone else has tried to insure a clone of your car.

Odd though, it's usually the DVLA who flag this kind of thing up.

Is it registered to the same address as you have taken out insurance to? Same name? Are you on the electoral roll at that address?
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

the only reason i can think of is its been registered twice and one of the "owners" hasn't declared they no longer own the vehicle

Surprisingly that doesn't matter, if you buy a car with no log book, you can simply apply for a new log book, you are then the registered keeper, the 'current' registered keeper then becomes the previous keeper, exactly the same as if the documents had been sent off in the correct process.

I would assume DVLA would notify the old keeper of a change in ownership, I don't know though because I've never sold a car without a log book.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I bought and registered it back in April/May 08 I think, but it's been SORN off-road since other than going through the MOT 08-09. Only recently did I insure it for 24 hours with Esure so I can take advantage of the free Citroen MOT, which it duly passed.

Yes, all the details match, nothing untoward I know about that could give rise to any doubt that will leave me insurance blacklisted.

The letter/request looks genuine as it came in an Esure envelope, has their logo and address, includes my particulars, the insurance policy number, vehicle details etc.

I've sent a copy via email as requested but there's no telephone number (except a £1 a minute line) given to discuss the matter. I've therefore asked for a full written explanation of the doubt as it's a serious concern to be blacklisted - ie unable to insure the xantia.

Coincidentally, they said the logbook will show the current owner whereas we all know it doesn't, it only shows the registered keeper so it's not even clear what the doubt is exactly.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thats a first for me !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Phone their quotes and sales/customer service number on 0845 603 7874

Will be at local rate not £1/minute 090 number.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Alternatively there are other numbers available.

If you look at this information in the useful links section.

Then you can find this web site & many more numbers for Esure.

Type in Esure like I did and it comes up with many numbers for the company I.E. motoring, and other departments, but also freephone numbers for the motoring section.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:
the only reason i can think of is its been registered twice and one of the "owners" hasn't declared they no longer own the vehicle

Surprisingly that doesn't matter, if you buy a car with no log book, you can simply apply for a new log book, you are then the registered keeper, the 'current' registered keeper then becomes the previous keeper, exactly the same as if the documents had been sent off in the correct process.

I would assume DVLA would notify the old keeper of a change in ownership, I don't know though because I've never sold a car without a log book.
i bought my xantia and was handed two logbooks one new logbook and an old style one i was wondering if this could have been the case ie mike has the current book and somewhere was an old style book that somebody has sent back to dvla hence the insurers asking for verification
as this is the first time i've heard about this happening i'm just having a stab in the dark as to what may have happened and these are the only scenarios i can think of :?
honda cb900 x3
"if i wanted my car to be mint i would have bought a polo"
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I called them but got a voice-automated menu system for three minutes and once I'd made my choices, was told they're too busy and they hung up.

Since then, I've got an email reply....

"When you incepted this policy you have listed yourself as the owner of the vehicle and on your reason for use you have selected ‘To drive another vehicle because mine has broken down / off road’ due to this we wanted to clarify the ownership of the vehicle on cover"

Thanks for the alternative phone number links!
Last edited by MikeT on 11 Apr 2010, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

correct me if I'm wrong, but, the log book only gives the registared keeper, who is not necessarily the owner
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
scratcher
My Cars:

Post by scratcher »

with reference to these expensive phone numbers , go to a site on the internet "saynoto0870" you can then put in the expensive phone numbers and find an ordinary number for them. e.g. to tax your over the phone go to this site and you can find an ordinarynumber to tax the car, not giving the government the extra revenue. It works for many other numbers like Tescos and other major stores. Try it! gerry
Xantia vsx
GSA 1300
Previous AMI8 estate
GS1015
GSA1300 estate
BX16
BX17d
BX19destate
BX19d
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:

In that case the DVLA will write to the person the car is currently registered with and give them a reasonable time to respond before issuing a new V5.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Abu Hamza's son exploited the dvla's proceedure and was able to steal cars.
Find a posh car owned by someone on long holiday by asking helpful neighbours.
Write to the dvla claiming you just bought the car, they write to owner asking to confirm and of course get no reply so send out a new log book.
use log book to get new keys and drive car away to be sold/stripped.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool