citroen zx ignition electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

citroen zx ignition electrics

Post by handyman »

i have a ZX 1.6i which has developed an ignition fault. It only runs on two cylinders! My local independent garage say its a fault with the coil pack, but a supplier of citroen spares in London said it may be the Bosch ignition module that is at fault. A. Is there a simple test for this unit? b. Where on the vehicle is it located? a pre-emptive look under the bonnnet with wire tracing from the coil back did not unearth the unit!
assael1

Post by assael1 »

Hi
zx 1.6i dnot have igntion module only static coil so i think your local garage got right.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

assael, thanks for your reply to my query. I presume that if the engine is misfiring, the fault lies within the coil unit. The coil unit must also contain the ignition amplifier and I assume that as 1 & 4 cylinders are not sparking, they fire on a dead spark principle.
I am surprised that three well known Citroen parts suppliers have identified an igition module for this car, one of whom is not a million miles from this forum.
Jon

Post by Jon »

If its definately a 1.6 XU engine using the 4 post coil 597060 then yes, the microfiche does not show a module for this car.
Having said that, we have seen ZX's where no module is shown on the microfiche, yet there is one on the car. This is sometimes the case where the car has both a distributorless ignition coil, and also runs a 7 pin Bosch module as well, quite common.
If you can advice the first 5 numbers of the chassis number of the car after the VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] bit, then I can give the definitive answer.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Jon, thanks for your response. The VIN is N2B20001..... As far as I can tell there is no mudule as the connector to the Coil Assy is a four pin, with only three pins being used and the wiring seems to go back to the ECU mounted in a box on the inner wing. Do you know the configuration for these pins so I can test the output from the ECU to the coil pack?
I was told that the reason the engine was running on two cylinders was a "get you home" measure if the ignition module fails and that this facility was only in the Bosch unit. Is this true, as the coil pack fitted to the car is made by Valeo?
Jon

Post by Jon »

you're right.
I just checked using the chassis number, no module on your car, just the 4 post coil.
I'm sorry, I don't know the pin outs, but hopefully someone else does.