oil pressure switch ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sawman

oil pressure switch ?

Post by sawman »

:( hi folks, i recently bought a 54 peugeot 307 1.4 petrol for my wife and after a day of owning it the oil pressure insufficient warning light came on along with the stop light.
after looking up the forum for some answers i read about the oil pressure switch that could be a problem,so i changed this and also performed an oil and filter change but the light is still on .
while changing the pressure switch i noticed that the old switch and the new switch didnt have a sealing washer can anybody tell me please if this would affect the pressure and activate the warning light. :?

thanks.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Sawman

i wouldnt have thought it would'nt make any difference, i would get a pressure guage on that oil pressure switch hole sharpish though just to rule out the worst case problem of actualy having no oil pressure then work back if changing the switch has made no difference with a problem like this.

Dean
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
sawman

Post by sawman »

:) thanks for the quick reply deanxm,
how do i go about checking the pressure on the oil pressure switch hole, is it the same gauge you use to check compression on the spark plug holes, as you can see from my question i am a bit of a novice with mechanical things,
thanks again.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

At this stage any pressure guage you can connect to that hole would be good, i would say about 1bar hot at idle as a minimum many times that when the revs are raised, it depends on the state and size of the engine, the oil type and temperature.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
sawman

Post by sawman »

thanks again Deanxm, i will try your suggestion and see what results i get.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

if im honest on a car of that age i cant see oil pressure being low or non existant, usualy its a sign of extreem engine wear due to neglect or mileage, oil pump or relief valve failure or clogged oil filter that sort of thing, but it is best to check there is pressure before running the car anymore, if pressure is good then you can start chasing the false alert :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92