hissing and leak from rear drivers side

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidb

Post by davidb »

hello, when i was getting out of my xantia tonight there was a very loud hissing, i originally thought the valve had just gone in the back tyre, thats what it sounded like, lasted about half a minute, then stopped.. tyre was still inflated so i got a torch and looked underneath...big puddle of green goo..it's dripping from above the spare tyre cage, so i couldnt see exactly where it is coming from, being dark and also i didnt want to get right under the car without proper supports for it, i havent had time to have a good look yet, but am guessing that maybe a seal has gone on that sphere?? the car is still normal height, the red light had been coming on for a bit when i first started up, but went out after a minute or so, been like that for a long time, i had checked fluid and topped it up a little a couple of weeks ago, only about 1/4 litre..hasnt used fluid any since i had the spheres done about 4 years ago.
It is a 2001 xantia hdi. any suggestions please?
thanks
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

What spec is the Xantia, ie does the car have hydractive suspension?
davidb

Post by davidb »

its a forte, 2.0 hdi.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Non-hydractive...

Only thing to do David, is to remove the spare wheel cradle (one 13mm bolt on the LH side), give the area a clean and then watch and see.

It's rarely a sphere seal. They don't normally just give up.

The Anti-sink valve (in the middle) sometimes gives up and leaks copiously like this or if not an obvious thing, it'll be a ruptured pipe. Most likely one of the brake lines.

As I say, have the cradle out and have a good look...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Bear in mind when supporting the car that you may have no suspension pressure until you've fixed the leak. Don't let it drop to 'low' without considering how you'll get a jack under it to raise it again.
Until I obtained an extra-low scissor jack for just this job, i'd previously had to resort to digging a hole for a bottle jack to sit in!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote:Bear in mind when supporting the car that you may have no suspension pressure until you've fixed the leak. Don't let it drop to 'low' without considering how you'll get a jack under it to raise it again.
Until I obtained an extra-low scissor jack for just this job, i'd previously had to resort to digging a hole for a bottle jack to sit in!
That's a very,very good point :D

I have a "low-rider" trolley jack for this task that stands as talls as an adolescent gnat when right down...

The other point to be aware of is to support the car very firmly and securely when working underneath. Serious injury and death has been the result of a hydraulic Citroen collapsing down in the past so take great care.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If the fluid is dripping from behind the spare wheel carrier, then a high pressure pipe has given way, in the direction of the well, from the subframe area.

All rear pipes are above and around the rear subframe, my guess a Pin hole has corroded through a pipe possibly on the Brake cuircuit only as you say the car's height has remaind correct...

Dont panic about a pipe needing replacment above the subframe, they are EASY PEASY to drop down one side to gain access to all the pipes above the frame..

First task, find the pipe thats given up.

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davidb

Post by davidb »

thanks for all the advice..
i was going thinking about getting another car anyway, as the xantia was not really big enough for my needs now , and found a v70 estate that i have now got instead, so i am selling the xantia, i'll list it on ebay next week when i get some pics done..its quite solid, a few knocks and bumps etc., but it has been a really good car, starts runs and goes well, if a bit smelly inside from taking the dog with me on the way to his walks..
its got mot until & tax until mid sept i think, illl check..