Xantia Clutch Query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

magictorch
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch Query

Post by magictorch »

Hi All,
I am doubling up my query on a 1996 Xantia Estate 1.9TD.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... #pid185129

My queries are:
(1) How difficult is it to change the clutch out on it?
Excellent tutorial on XUD here:

(2) Can someone please explain the operation of the clutch arm lever highlighted in my picture here:
http://www.stockcupboard.com/clutchdiagram.jpg

(2a) Should that arm move freely without grinding. Which direction should the arm travel to engage the clutch so I can check before stripping stuff apart?

Thanks
Jamie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

1. This thread will help determine the difficulty or otherwise of the job from your point of view.

2. It is pulled toward the back of the picture to disengage the clutch.

3. Yes, and pulling the lever toward the back of the car, there should be no graunching at all.

Maybe a description of the problems you are having might help elicit a good response and more informative answers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Hi CitroJim.

I managed to change the clutch cable and having take the car for a test drive I think it is fine. I still think the clutch pedal is stiff mind you. The car is on 155,000 so no doubt the clutch is probably on it way out.

Thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim wrote
"2. It is pulled toward the back of the picture to disengage the clutch. "

errrr Jim it actualy is pulled towards the front of the car by the outter cable,

which in turn pulls the thrust bearing away from the flywheel (back to front clutch),

and the inner cable is attached to the fixed bracket,

regards malcolm