Who wants to play "What Am I?"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Who wants to play "What Am I?"

Post by MikeT »

I've got the xantia booked in for a free MOT on Wednesday so was doing some prepping today and started the engine to shuffle the car around. While idling, I noticed what looked like smoke coming out of the air vents - obviously being blown out by the blower on low setting.

So what is this "smoke"? It smells like damp boots for want of a better descriptor and definately not the curry smell I've come to associate with a weeping matrix. It was noticed before the temp gauge had reached 60 and showed no signs of clearing or increasing as the temperature rose to ~90 where the fans kicked in.

To recap, the aircon was bypassed many years ago, I have replaced the head gasket and therefore flushed and refilled with a proper mix of blue coolant and water.

What steps would you take to diagnose this?
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Could it be damp leaves trapped in the air intakes for the heater?
Or check something hasn't crawled in and died :shock:

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Mould build up in the vents maybe ?

You could try one of those aerosols that clean them out (the one you let off in the car and shut the doors quick, having already set it on re-circ) , I used to use these they work well. Meant for a/c equipped and working cars but it won't do any harm to use one if your a/c is awol anyway as the aerosol gas only goes around the air vents.

Make sure your pollen filter is good (I suppose it could rot away if it was really bad)

Not sure what it could be really apart from that. :?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've asked Danielle what the smoke from Juliet's vents smelled like (I'm anosmic so useless in this situation) and she says it definitely didn't smell of curry or cat pee, but possibly like wet boots, with a slight chemical tinge.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

We've certainly had a lot of rain and damp weather that could have built up somewhere, I'll take a look where access is easiest.

Xac, sounds very close to what I'm experiencing if not exactly the same, have you looked into it at all? I'll check if there's a chemical aroma mixed in next time I start the car. I hope it's not poisonous!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It was like a mist coming out of the vents.
I hate to say it Mike, but the problem was the heater matrix.
Once we replaced that and dried out the box it sits in, there's been no reccurance.

DIY sphere tool
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I hope it's not poisonous!
Probably not, but if it does happen to be mould spores, it might be quite dangerous to health.

I'd be inclined to get it sorted sooner rather than later - at least spray some biocide through the system ASAP!
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Mike, It'll be damp.

After the HDi had its lay up whilst I sorted the cambelt, I was driving up the road, switched the temp to high and instantly this 'smoke' steamed from the vents.

What I'd suggest is running the heater on max temp and the fan on full for a little while and see if it ceases.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If it is just damp (fingers crossed) then it might be an idea to get one of those aircon cleaner cans just to kill any bugs that could be in the system.

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I wasn't able to check the intake other than just peer into the scuttle but nothing unusual was spotted. I removed the pollen filter and although filthy dirty and restricted, was dry and odour-free. (Yet more evidence that a so-called "full" or even "golden" service - as this car has had - won't get this filter replaced).

And I'm pleased to report I couldn't repeat yesterdays event of smelly smoke/steam, the vents blew clear with barely a hint of old trainer smell.

So, fingers crossed, it was just damp and the matrix is not the problem.

EDIT: One thing I didn't think to check was the footwells and I just noticed the drivers side is soaking wet while the passenger side is bone dry. What could that be?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Matrix... matrix.... matrix..... :lol: :lol:

Sorry, shouldn't laugh! It CANNOT be anything else!, do you know if its been replaced in the past? If not, then it can only be the matrix!

Water on the passenger side can be either Scuttle trim not secured or Matrix, but on the drivers side, it can only be Matrix, theres no other way in, unless you have a Sunroof, and the drain pipe is letting water in..

Is the coolant level going, or been going, or gone down?

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

So you think it might be the matrix then Paul? :lol:

There's no paperwork or other evidence to suggest it's been replaced and I can't tell if I've lost any small amount of coolant - certainly not a large amount. Though the car's not really been driven since the head gasket repair, just shuffled around the car park and run up to temperature mostly just idling.

No sunroof either.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mike wrote
"I hope it's not poisonous!"

as long as the MOT tester gets the PASS certificate written out and signed before he sniffs it, it will be ok

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can easily tell if its coolant - if you'r not squeamish, dip your finger in and tast it, if its antifreeze it will tast sweet.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:dip your finger in and tast it, if its antifreeze it will tast sweet
Either very sweet or it could be very bitter. Recently they've started adding a bittering agent (the same as in the pots of stuff you can buy to stop you biting your nails) to make it unpalatable to children, animals and dodgy winemakers.

Anti-freeze is deadly stuff (it's the ethylene glycol in it) but a taste will not bring any harm...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...