Power Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FFX-DM
My Cars:

Power Steering

Post by FFX-DM »

Hi all.
I am still having problems with leaks in my power steering fluid. The garage have said that it was the 'damper' and have shown me an interesting pistony device under the car. It certainly looked leaky! This is part number 401144.
I cannot find the website to the online shop to see if Andysapres can beat the price they quoted me. Jon, am I just being thick, or have you hidden it really well?
If anybody can recognise what the part is from the dodgy description above and can tell me if replacing it is a very nasty job, or one that somebody reasonably competant with some axle stands and decent tools can do, I would be grateful.
Is this the sort of part that one can reasonably get a second hand unit from a breakers? Is that a bad idea for hydraulic parts?
I would appreciate a mickey mouse description of how the power steering works, as I really don't have a clue!
Sorry to be so lame, but at least I am considering having a go myself! [:I]
ta!
Jon

Post by Jon »

401144 is what we call the Power steering ram (our ref N43490, £69.00 + the vat).
The Ram body bolts to the steering rack, and the piston part is attached to one of the track rods. Obviously, theres also a couple of metal hydraulic pipes too.
To be honest, never had to change one, but the one on my car does weep very slightly. I think that its not a horror story to change, you work from below with the car well supported. (me thinks that Dave Burns has changed a couple, he might be able to give a more lucid account.)
we've sold 128 of them in one year, but the same part also fits the 306, Xsara and Berlingo too.
How bad is the leak?
PS you can't find the online shop because the whole GSFcarparts site is down just now [:(] but we're OK here on Andyspares as we use a different server in sunny California.
<font color="blue"><b>12.06 - gsfcarparts.com now fully operational including SHOP JW</b></font id="blue">
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Ah-ha. Thanks Jon. Well, you are £30 cheaper than the price my garage quoted me. The leak started off not too bad, then I gave it to the garage to fix, then I noticed my power steering grumbling again, so I checked and it was well down. Then I gave the car back to the garage and they said it was this ram whatsit and then showed my underneath the car a very leaky looking pistony thing! (note semaless use of technical terms here! [8D] )
I cannot figure out that the stuff I thrown in the top appears quite red and yet what leaks out the bottom appear more golden coloured. Might just be my imagination. Perhaps the red bits are too big to fit through the gap? Okay, perhaps it only appears that red when you are looking at a tankful of it.[:o)]
Is the GSF site due back up any time soon? Is that a general price (ie can I trundle down to GSF in Apsley to get the same deal?). Is there a phone no for ordering parts over the phone?
Thanks!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hey that was my 500th post [:)]
I don't know when the other site will be up, server problem.
Anyway, Hemel branch don't hold that ram, they'd have to order it in from us but the price should be the same.
We can supply it from here, mail order if required. Drop me a line (don't use my profile address @gsf as not getting any mail for above reasons)try webmaster@andyspares.com and I'll get our mail order blokes to sort it out 4 you.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Just been looking at this topic again, and notice the line
<i>"then I noticed my power steering grumbling again"</i>. So the power steering is noisy and losing fluid? What about the pump then?
Rams don't get noisy, they just well, leak really.